We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs with great accommodation ??

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs with great accommodation ??

Hi

We are coming a very long way LOL ( from Sheffield ! ) and would like to find a really great pub to stay in. We are a little bit fussy about the standard of room, so can anyone recommend anywhere really nice ? If not, your views on best hotels would be good too.

Many thanks Fellow Yorkshire folk

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
379 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Hello there Kinoko,

Where are you aiming to be staying? city centre or outside the ringroad? I'm sure we can recommened somehwere with a bit more info .... (pubs with rooms are my favourite sort of accommodation too!)...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Thanks Ebor,

Ideally central would be great as I think we will come by train ( then no-one has to stay on the wagon and drive !! ). Although a short taxi ride would be ok also.

I have read a couple of reports on The Guy Fawkes ?? What do you think of it ?

Price is not really an issue ( although we are not Rockafella !! )

Many thanks

Peterlee
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are staying here....http://www.waggonandhorsesyork.co.uk/ on Saturday 19th. July, I'll let you know how it was, if you like....

Kerava, Finland
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Hello! Was visiting York last week with my wife and 15 year old daughter. We stayed one night at The Queens Hotel. That was a nice hotel and also our room was very clean. The breakfast at the hotel was nice. The price for the room with 3 persons was £ 73.50 without breakfast and £ 75.00 with breakfast.

- - Also we were traveling by train, so walking distance from the railway station was a requirement. It took some 15 minutes to walk slowly from the station to the hotel dragging our wheeled bags. The location of the hotel was perfect with all shops and museums just within a few minutes walking distance.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
379 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

The Queens, isnt really a pub though, its nice, but may not be what Kinoko is looking for??

I like the Guy Fawkes, I haven't there but I have had (too many!) drinks in there and it has a lovely ambience and some cracking ales.

Have you thought about the Golden Fleece? Yorks most haunted pub?! www.goldenfleece.yorkwebsites.co.uk/rooms.htm The rooms seem ok on the website??

I think you may struggle for a TOP CLASS pub in the city centre, the best ones tend to be located a bit further out.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Thanks everyone, some really helpful suggestions there. Will put them to the rest of the gang and get something booked. I think I like the look of the Golden Fleece, I remember also having several drinks here on most of our trips to York, could be a good option.

Cheers

K

Peterlee
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Hello,

Well we liked The Waggon and Horses so much we stayed an extra day.....

Paul and Mandy can't do enough for their guests, the rooms are spotless, the breakfast was great, and the Sunday lunch was MASSIVE!

We'll definitely be going back!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Thanks Radgie, it looks really nice. How far from the main centre of York is it ? And do you mind me asking how much you paid ?

Thanks

K

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
379 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Obvioulsy I cant say what the W&G is like but I know it has recently been refurbished and I have heard good reports for it.

It is further out than the Golden Fleece in comparison, but as the map shows http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2103354 it couldnt be any easier to walk into York. I will just say that it is on a busy road, not sure if this means anything to you though.

Peterlee
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs with great accommodation ??

Hi K,

We payed £65 per room which are all "en-suite".

It's an easy ten minute walk into the town, providing you don't call into ALL the shops along the way, like my girlfriend had too!

There are some good pubs and restaraunts along that road too, suffice to say, we didn't make it into town at all on the first night of our stay. I can recommend the steak in "El Gaucho"!

Cheers....

Get answers to your questions about York