We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top ten to see in York

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Top ten to see in York

We will be in York in July for about four or five days. What would you say are the top sights to see and things to do in York?

I do have several guidebooks to England and am making my own list but would be glad to hear others' opinions. And unfortunately I can't find a guidebook to Yorkshire.

We plan to spend most of our time in York city itself. We are interested in history, art and gardens. We are not interested in shopping or clubbing. A good meal is always appreciated, especially local food.

We will be taking a day trip to some nearby locations. Any suggestions? And before we get to York we will be on a guided tour of more remote areas of Yorkshire. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Top ten to see in York

Lots to see, but be warned about the Viking center ride. Just plain cheesy. Walk the walls, see the National rail museum.

I took the Coastliner bus to Whitby, then to Scarborough then train back to York. Also took the train up to Darlington and then to Shildon to visit the Locomotion Museum. Another was bus to Eden Camp, former POW camp.

Mentioned in this post
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Darlington
Darlington
Durham, UK
Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top ten to see in York

Can't find a guide book to Yorkshire-just contact the Tourism office in York and they will put that right or visit the Yorkshire Tourist Board website.

York-Minster, walk the walls, Castle Museum and Clifford's Tower, York Dungeon, take a ghost walk, stroll along the river bank,avoid Jorvik(IMO totally overrated and over priced.

Trip to Castle Howard also Rievaulx Abbey if possible.

Train to Scarborough-Castle , Sea Life Centre, Rotuna Geological Museum and sea front.

Bus to Whitby-Abbey, Dracula connections, Lifeboat Museum ans old town.

great coastal walking around both.

Pickering for a trio on the Noerth Yorks Moors Railway-steam trains. Eden Camp is a great day out as is the Air Museum at Elvington.

Ryedale Folk Museum at Hutton Le Hole is a very well kept secret.

Food in York is outstanding-Bettys , some great Italians of all styles, J Bakers, Blue Bicycle, Meltons and many others.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
North Yorkshire Moors...
3,330 Reviews
Pickering, UK
Jorvik House
Jorvik House
284 Reviews
York, UK
Castle Howard
Castle Howard
2,699 Reviews
York, UK
York Minster
York Minster
12,367 Reviews
York, UK
Clifford's Tower
Clifford's Tower
1,756 Reviews
York, UK
Rievaulx Abbey
Rievaulx Abbey
1,069 Reviews
Helmsley, UK
Yorkshire Air Museum
Yorkshire Air Museum
1,321 Reviews
York, UK
Ryedale Folk Museum
Ryedale Folk Museum
376 Reviews
Hutton le Hole, UK
Melton's
Melton's
543 Reviews
York, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top ten to see in York

Castle Howard - the biggest stately home in the north is worth a visit.

www.castlehoward.co.uk/metadot/index.pl

Mentioned in this post
Castle Howard
Castle Howard
2,699 Reviews
York, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top ten to see in York

There's enough to do in and around York to keep you busy for weeks! And everyone's top 10 will vary of course, but here's a few ideas out of York itself(definitely agree with Castle Howard and the North Yorks Moors Railway)

1) If your tour of the remote areas of Yorkshire doesn't include the Yorkshire Dales, then this would definitely be a top choice.

www.yorkshiredales.org.uk

2) Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Watergardens, World Heritage Site

www.fountainsabbey.org.uk

3) Robin Hoods Bay and/or Staithes

www.robin-hoods-bay.co.uk

www.staithes-town.info

4) Beningbrough Hall and Gardens (would suit your 'history, art and gardens' request perfectly),

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-beningbroughhall…

as would -

5) Newby Hall

www.newbyhall.co.uk

There are some superb places to eat around York, but my favourite is the truly wonderful Star at Harome. If it appeals to you, make your reservation in good time as it is very popular and can be booked solid especially at weekends. The food here is fabulous, with lots of local produce too.

www.thestaratharome.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
North Yorkshire Moors Railway
North Yorkshire Moors...
3,330 Reviews
Pickering, UK
Castle Howard
Castle Howard
2,699 Reviews
York, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Yorkshire Dales National Park
Yorkshire Dales National...
North Yorkshire, UK
Robin Hood's Bay
Robin Hood's Bay
North York Moors National Park, UK
MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top ten to see in York

Thank you for these great tips. Some, such as Newby Hall and York Minster, are already on my list. Others are new to me. The Star Inn looks wonderful for a meal--hope we can get there.

Please do keep the good suggestions coming. I certainly do wish we had weeks instead of days.

Mentioned in this post
York Minster
York Minster
12,367 Reviews
York, UK
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Top ten to see in York

Top of my list is the National Railway Museum.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/home/home.asp

York Minster.

Parts of the walls.

There's a lovely fish and chip shop on Low Petergate--Petergate Fisheries.

For a day out, I'd recommend taking the train to Whitby and/or going to Robin Hood's Bay.

Mentioned in this post
York Minster
York Minster
12,367 Reviews
York, UK
National Railway Museum
National Railway Museum
14,955 Reviews
York, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top ten to see in York

Hi there - will you have a car at your disposal?

I would suggest you could look up the Yorkshire Sculpture Park if you appreciate art. This is within an easy hour's drive from York and is an internationally renowned palce to visit, with sculptures by Barbara Hepworth and henry Moore, as well as temporary exhibits. Apart from amodest charge for the car park, it's free and there are some wonderful walks in the extensive parkland.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Yorkshire Sculpture Park
3,423 Reviews
Wakefield, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top ten to see in York

No car, sorry to say. Neither of us wants to drive on the "other" side. But we are taking the bus to Thirsk and hiring (we hope) a driver for a guided tour of some outlying sights.

I would indeed like to see the sculpture park but I don't think it will be possible.

Mentioned in this post
Thirsk
Thirsk
North Yorkshire, UK
York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Top ten to see in York

Viking Centre, cheesy? thats a new one. it is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, then is going to close for its second refurbishment and remains as popular as ever for those interested in York's Viking heritage.

UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top ten to see in York

5 days is quite a lot to spend just in York as it is such a very small compact city. Within walking distance I would recommend:-

National Railway museum - not to be missed, this is after all close to the home of the first train journey (Darlington bit further North)

Yorvik - yes it is a bit cheesy but quite good fun for an hour

Walk around the walls - 2 hour stroll

Minster

Walk or cycle along the river - boat trips not worth it IMO

Food - J Baker's award winning local food - Betty's an institution and a must - Blue Bicycle is massively overrated and overpriced

Loads of pubs - 3 legged mare my favourite also City Screen Cinema is relaxed and overlooks the river

Out of town by public transport

Whitby (train)- amazing shipping town with beautiful harbour and wonderful pier, close by to where Cook sailed to discover Australia and has ancient Abbey with close links to Dracula.

If in Whitby eat fish and chips at the Magpie cafe, you will probably have to queue but worth it for heavenly food.

Goathland / North York Moors railway (can link to Whitby) - wonderful scenery, picturesque villages.

Harrogate - beautiful upmarket spa town, nice to stroll around for a morning or afternoon. Also has a Betty's tea room.

Durham and Newcastle are a 50 mins train journey to the North and worth seeing. Durham is a beautiful small City with a Cathedral voted one of top 10 in the world. Newcastle a handsome compact City with an historic quayside, Baltic art gallery and 7 bridges across the river Tyne.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
York Minster
York Minster
12,367 Reviews
York, UK
National Railway Museum
National Railway Museum
14,955 Reviews
York, UK
Magpie Cafe
Magpie Cafe