We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - thanks for the suggestions

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - thanks for the suggestions

Just a quick outline of where we ate & drank this weekend and thanks for everyones suggestions ! : friday we went to Lendal cellars which would have been really nice, but was ruined by an overly loud party of about ten on one table - Im all for having a drink and a laugh, but their behaviour at 3pm on a friday afternoon was a bit too much ! - they emptied the immedaite area round them in about 20 minutes (and knew what they were doing and found it halarious!). We then went onto the Yorkshire Terrier which was lovely - we had to sit in the "conservatory" part of it as it was so busy, and with the rain and the sunny spells, it was unbearably hot, so only had one there - went onto the last drop which was lovely - nice ambience, customers and more lovely york brewery beer. - we had a few in there, and then went over the road to petergate chippy for fish & chips - delicious but a bit on the small portion size IMHO.

saturday we went the pub that floods - how cheap is the beer in there !! then we went onto ye old starre which was pretty quiet (which surpsied me for a saturday night) - the food looked good in there, but we had booked caesars, so we went onto caesars - what a place ! loved the food and the service - massive portion of pasta and good cheap house wine - no complaints at all - will definately return - then finally onto the three legged mare which was another really nice pub - highly receommended

sunday we had a quiet day - went to Oscars for lunch - I had the burger which was nice, but we were overcharged - when I pointed it out to the waiting staff, we werent even given an apology,(so we never left a tip) so Im afraid I wasnt impressed with that (and for that reason probably woulndt rush back!). we then went on the River Cruise, - it was £8 each for an hour, which I thought was pretty good value for money and I found the commentary quite informative and amusing.

we have been to york about 10 times now and this trip we tried to just go to places that we had heard through TA and avoiud all teh chains (we normally go to chains for familiarity!)

thanks everyone for the suggestions !

jan

Mentioned in this post
The Yorkshire Terrier
The Yorkshire Terrier
248 Reviews
York, UK
Los Moros
£, African, Moroccan, Fast food
Humpit - The Hummus & Pita Bar
£, Mediterranean, Healthy, Middle Eastern
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - thanks for the suggestions

Sounds like you had a good time amongst a few not so clever moments. I must admit I am flabbergasted by the Oscars experience and I hope this isn't a change for the worst following the move to the bigger premises. When it was based in Little Stonegate you could head for a drink and be greeted with open arms practically, the food was always top notch and the service second to none. It has always been my favourite pub in York and I must admit I was gutted when I heard they were moving because part of the appeal was the location. I will have to go and check it out for myself next weekend when we visit again.

Shame about the Lendal. It could have course happen in any pub especially on a Bank Holiday which often means big groups and early drinking. In contrast, Norwich was pretty dead on Good Friday when we went out which did surprise me somewhat. I hope you have seen enough of the Lendal to give it another crack though. It's not perfect but it has a certain charm (except for the toilets).

Kings Arms (Sam Smith) is always worth a visit not just because it is the pub that floods but also because of the dirt cheap beer. The Handsom Cab is another for next time which is worth a go as well.

We've been a few more times than you to York but interestingly we have never done the river cruise, so I am glad you found it interesting and good value as this has probably helped convice us to do it this time, weather permitting of course!!!

Glad you had (mostly) a good time. Thanks for the report.

Mentioned in this post
Stonegate
Stonegate
102 Reviews
York, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
2. Re: Trip Report - thanks for the suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 19:17