We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

Im going to york in a couple of weeks and im not looking for a theatrical ghost walk, so I wondered if anyone been on the one I've mentioned??

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
619 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

Hi there, we went on Trever Roony's ghost walk last night. Please choose another walk and dont fall victim to the rip off which is this walk. Cost was 5 pounds, we went to 3 locations in york and were told 3 different ghost stories, none of which were scarey. He spent more time cracking not so funny jokes, poking fun at his tour group and heckling the other ghost tours that were passing. The whole thing was an absoulute joke and a rip off.

Please choose another one.

York
Level Contributor
109 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

Trevor Rooney has a very bad reputation in the city and actually goes round stealing people from other ghost walks because his are so unpopular. People regularly complain after his walks and I did last year when we were on one but were ignored. Personally I'd recommend the one that leaves every night from the Minster at 7.30pm although there are a number that are very good, but avoid Trevor Rooney at all costs.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

I agree that his was not a very professionally done walk. He put down the other tours a little too much, the facts of some of the stories seemed a little "off" and he was somewhat overly flitratious with me, which made me a bit uncomfortable.

Although, I must say ,we went to more than three places and he didn't take payment up front , so that you'd have the option of not paying at the end if you didn't like the tour.

We were hijacked at the time, but didn't realize it til later. We were heading to the Minster to meet up with one of the tours there, when this guy told us to meet down Stonegate for the ghost tour. Realized our mistake later, and will definitely be trying one of the more reputable tours on our next visit.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

Well as you're not looking for a theatrical ghost walk I would definitely stay well away from the tours that leave from the Shambles, Jorvik and most definitely the one that leaves from the Minster. They're all 'equity members' so obviously actors and I've seen many of the people that take these walks in other productions around the city.

Out of those three, the one that leaves from the Minster is by far the most theatrical and aimed towards children so definitely steer clear of that one. Not least because it can bring in crowds of up to a hundred people which isn't atmospheric to say the least!

I've done all of the ghost tours several times (Trevor Rooney's just once though) and I'd highly recommend either the tour that leaves from Exhibition Square or the one that leaves from The Kings Arms (the pub that floods).

Happy ghost hunting!

5. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 16:00
Liverpool
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

Thanks everyone!!! I ended up going on the original ghost walk from the kings arms. I had a great night and was totally taken in by it all. At one point I was that engrossed in one of the storys that when he stopped and said Boo! (quietly mind)I screamed! The rest of the audience jumped at my reaction too!! Funny!!

York was an amazing place to go to and I would recommend this walk. The guy who conducted it was brilliant and told the storys with a depth in his voice that put you in the zone!!

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

I would like to take this opportunity to share my experience of the Trevor Rooney Ghost Walk on this worldwide travel forum. My husband and I spent a couple of days in York about a year ago.

We had enjoyed various similar tours in other cities and generally found them to be an excellent, lighthearted and entertaining way to kick of an evening. We just stumbled across Trevor's tour without doing any prior research.

That night there weren't enough takers to make it worth his while so he suggested that we visit the oldest pub in York instead. This was the Black Swan Inn where Trevor actually lived at the time (and possibly still does). The atmosphere and surroundings were pleasant. The only irritation was that we were constantly being harrassed by Trevor attempting to sell posters, prints and various tacky, inferior articles cobbled together with ideas from some old Blue Peter shows. Anyway, we were enjoying the drinks, so we stayed on and thanked him for showing his contribution to the art world but made it clear that we weren't interested in making any purchases.

Later in the evening, he started making advances towards me everytime that my husband's back was turned. This made me feel very uncomfortable, just as has been noted by a few previous posters. As we were leaving, he even tried slipping me his private email address and suggested that I join his band of followers on Facebook.

So, unless you like 55-yr old desperate megalomaniacs, may I suggest giving the Trevor Rooney Walk in York a very wide berth. I'm sure there are genuine professional entertainers in the City that would not attempt to rip you off and do treat their customers' with some respect. I cannot comment on the quality of the walk itself, but somehow I don't think we've missed very much.

England
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

We met Trevor in The Black Swan Inn ,unfortunately. As in the other listings he constantly harassed us and made inappropriate passes and suggestions towards me . He boasted that he was the first to start the ghost walks, how he pays no tax and was a complete egotistical idiot basically.

I would recommend that all woman stay well away from him and the Black Swan where he lurks as his behaviour is unacceptable and completely out of order.

9. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 11:26
10. Re: trevor rooneys supernatural walk, york

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 22:05
Get answers to your questions about York