We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to York from London

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trip to York from London

We are a family of 5 with 3 young teens. We will be staying at a flat in london for 7 nights. We would like for the kids to see some of the sights outside of london and were hoping for recommendations of the feasability of visiting York for a long day. If we were to take the train, is there a specific service that is faster and more direct? Any thoughts on whether or not this is doable and whether we would be better served using a guide sevice?

Thanks for your input!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
693 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to York from London

I've taken the train from London (Kings Cross) to York and spent the day in York with no problem. One day isn't enough to completely do York justice (to be honest, the same could be said about just about any place in England you might want to visit *G*), but it's certainly fine to get a nice feel for it. The train ride is approximately 2 hours each way.

I booked tickets online, through the National Express website...but I think that may be changed now to East Coast Trains. (can anyone confirm this?)

The first time we went (a friend & I) we had booked a tour with Golden Tours. It wasn't worth the money - essentially, we paid them to buy our train tickets and a few other tickets. They didn't actually go on the tour with us. Other tour companies might be different. WIth a little online research, there's no reason you can't do the trip on your own. (which is what we did the 2nd time)

York has a Hop On/Hop Off bus tour that picks up right outside of the train station and is a great way to get a feel for where everything is. Was there anything specific you were looking to see/do?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to York from London

I was thinking we would follow the suggestions on the Things to Do in York list. I know we will have limited time, but there seemed to be many interesting things to see and do.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to York from London

Check whether it would be worth getting a Family & Friends Railcard - £26 for 1 year, save 1/3 on adult & 60% on childs' fares.

Services from King's Cross to York are frequent. Book online at eastcoast.co.uk to get Advance tickets about 12 weeks ahead for the cheapest fares. (You can say you have a F&F railcard when you book, and buy the railcard in the UK before you travel)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to York from London

Thank you for the suggestions. Bobelinks, the Family and Friends Railcard is a great idea! I looked into it and it would save a significant amount of money. I do have another question. Is the Kings Cross train station safe late at night? If we are arriving back into London at midnight would it be safe and could we get a cab easily from there?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to York from London

Major rail stations are safe at any time, there will be plenty of staff around, CCTV, and British Transport Police patrolling.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,346 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to York from London

The main problem with most main train stations is that they are always COLD

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to York from London

Plenty of trains from Kings Cross. Book on Eastcoast.co.uk for an extra discount.

York is a compact city and all the major signts are within walking distance of the railway station.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to York from London

Hi,

You were kind enough to recommed purchasing a railcard to decrease our train costs and I have a few questions about doing that.

You had said that I could book the tickets as if i have a railcard and then purchase one when I arrive. Where in London would I do this? do I have to go to an Eastcoast train station or can I get one at any of the London tube stations? Once I purchase it is it immediately valid? I could purchase one on a Sunday, but will need to use it on Tuesday. Is this realistic? Also, do you know if I can use the F&F railcard to purchase tickets from London to Windsor Castle or London Bath? I noticed that different rail lines go to these places and wasn't sure if valid on all lines. Thanks so much for sharing your advice and expertise!

Newcampers

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to York from London

I have PM'd you as follows,

<< You were kind enough to recommed purchasing a railcard to decrease our train costs and I have a few questions about doing that.

You had said that I could book the tickets as if i have a railcard and then purchase one when I arrive. Where in London would I do this? >>

Any mainline rail station - not tube stations. You can download the form in advance from

familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/… which will save time at the station.

You can also buy a Railcard at Gatwick Airport, Stansted Airport rail stations, Luton Airport Parkway but NOT Heathrow.

<< it is it immediately valid? I could purchase one on a Sunday, but will need to use it on Tuesday. Is this realistic? Also, do you know if I can use the F&F railcard to purchase tickets from London to Windsor Castle or London Bath? >>

It is valid for 1 year from date of purchase - the booking office clerk will issue it straightaway - and is valid on all National Rail lines including Gatwick Express, Stansted Express, Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect services, and London Underground Zone 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard (subject to £5 minimum fare) Your Family & Friends Railcard will save you 1/3 off adult fares and 60% off kids’ fares on loads of tickets, including all Standard Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance fares across the National Rail network.

Note it is NOT valid on peak services, you will need to check when buying the tickets as peak time varies depending on route, but is typically before 10am leaving London.

See http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/ for more info.

Just to add - the F&F railcard is valid on ALL 'Advance' tickets, so you can travel at peak time if you have an Advance (booked-train-only) ticket, it is just not valid with a standard Anytime ticket at the peak time.

10. Re: day trip to York from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 06:18