We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I take pictures of passing trains

Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I take pictures of passing trains

Can I know where I can take nice pictures of passing trains in North Yorkshire NP?

I will love to take these lovely photos as seen in the website:

http://www.nymr.co.uk/

Thanks

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I take pictures of passing trains

Hi, I am having difficulty accessing that site but basicaly the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is a private preserved railway running preserved steam and diesel locomotives located at Pickering on the southern edge of the National Park reached by the A64 from York, so therefore you will not get the chance to photograph Steam Trains on the mainline unless you specifically look out for the special Railtours that take place.

Of course whilst in York itself you must not miss the excellent National Railway Musuem itself to appreicate Britains proud Railway Heritage.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I take pictures of passing trains

Apart from seeing trains at stations on the railway you will need to walk a bit to see moving trains.

There are some very pleasant walks between Goathland and Grosmont where at least some of the pictures are taken, but the walking is rough and hilly.

If you look at this map

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=483500&y=501500&z=120&sv=goathland&st=3&tl=Map+of+Goathland,+North+Yorkshire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

You can see how the railway runs up a narrow valley with a number of footpaths near it. A well used photo view is of the train crossing the river at Darnholm taken from the hillside to the east of the river. If you follow the footpaths you get to Beckhole (nice but tiny pub) from where you can walk back up the old rail trail to Goathland or follow it all the way to Grosmont. This is an old railway which was the original route of the line - engineered by George Stephenson in the 1830s.

I can't open the nymr website at the moment to see what photos are displayed, but this should give you some ideas.

If you are planning to do all of this on a day trip from York by bus then study the timetables and make sure you catch the last bus back!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I take pictures of passing trains

If you go to the top of Saltersgate bank between Pickering and Whitby and look down into the Hole of Horcum you can see the train from there and if you walk down into the bottom I guess you would get smoke and all

Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I take pictures of passing trains

Thanks for all the useful information.

I am looking at bus 840 service. So it can also be bus 843 and 845?

I am planning to go on a Sat and when I look at the bus service (departing York at 925 am) am I correct that the bus will stop at Malton for 10 min and then continue on to pickering?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I take pictures of passing trains

Tuesday night 8.45pm in Pickering and the NYMR website does indeed seem to be down.

Yes, the 840 Coastliner bus stops in Malton for a short while. Leaving York at about 8.20, sit in Malton at around 9.20, get to Pickering about 20 min later. You can then stay on to Goathland or Whitby and catch the train back to Pickering.

I'll try to get you some details about good spots for photos close to Goathland as the places I know about are near the road a few miles out of the village.

6. Re: Where can I take pictures of passing trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about York