We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

If I plan to self drive to Dales and include Settle-Carlisle Railway, which is the best option. I wish to drive on major road and not small winding road. We are planning to hire a car from York.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

Stick to A roads and you should be fine.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

York to Skipton bypass. A59.

Skipton bypass to Settle A65.

There still is quite a few bends and hills but you are driving in the Dales.

ian480.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

I'd take the A19 north to Thirsk (James Herriot country) then westwards on the A61 to Ripon (nice cathedral, not too far from Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden, then take the A6108 to Leyburn and the A684 westwards through Aysgarth (nice small waterfall), Hawes (home of Wensleydale Cheese and westwards towards the Lake District. It crosses the Settle Carlisle Line at Garsdale

The A65 is an extremely busy road - especially on Sundays - and wouldn't be my recommendation for a nervous driver

Unfortunately the Settle Carlisle Line does not parallel major roads for much of it's route and you would have to use minor roads. Why not just get the train from York to Carlisle which will take you along the Settle Carlisle line

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

I'd take the A19 north to Thirsk (James Herriot country) then westwards on the A61 to Ripon (nice cathedral, not too far from Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden, then take the A6108 to Leyburn and the A684 westwards through Aysgarth (nice small waterfall), Hawes (home of Wensleydale Cheese and westwards towards the Lake District. It crosses the Settle Carlisle Line at Garsdale

The A65 is an extremely busy road - especially on Sundays - and wouldn't be my recommendation for a nervous driver

Unfortunately the Settle Carlisle Line does not parallel major roads for much of it's route and you would have to use minor roads. Why not just get the train from York to Carlisle which will take you along the Settle Carlisle line

Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

I need some recommendation on the following route:

(1) Initial plan: 1st day York, 2nd day public transport and NYMR to Whitby and 3rd day car rental to Dales.

(2) Now I am planning to do the following: 1st day: York.

Rent a car on the 2nd day. Drive to Pickering. Park the car there and take the NYMR to Whitby, visit Whitby and return. Pick up the car and then drive around Pickering (if there is any nice place that we can catch passing train - Hole of Horcum ?) and then towards direction A684 (Wanted to go to Ribblehead Viaduct - possible? to see passing train. If Settle-Carlisle is out of way) then A65 to Skipton (There is a steam train there) and back to York. Is this a easy driving road?

Where is a good place to stop for overnight?

My son is a train crazy and we wish to include in our trip chances of watching passing train.

Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

Before we go back to York from Skipton, will make a trip to FOuntain Abbey.

We will be travelling in the week of 12th May. How is the weather then? What time will the sky get dark?

Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

Sunset is around 9:00pm but it won't be dark for another 30 minutes unless it's really cloudy - and on a clear evening you'll be seeing light on the horizon for another hour after that

www.canterburyweather.co.uk/sun/ukmap.php…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

Hi loowl.

York is not far from Keighley and the Keighley and Worth Valley railway. That the one from the railway children.

www.kwvr.co.uk

Loowl you are given out mixed signals about your driving. You say you want to keep on main road, than you say you want to go to places off the beaten track.

Re Looking at a passing train - Hole-of Horcum.

You need to head out of Pickering, north along the A169. After 5 miles you will pass a pub on your right ( fox and rabbit) you need to take the 2nd left in one mile or 1500 meters. Follow this road throught lockton to Levisham. Very steep downhill with bend at bottom, then very steep uphill into Levisham. You want the road to the left of the pub. you want the 2nd left in about 300 meters (the road bends at 90 to the left so you are keeping on the same road) in about 300 meters the bends to the right and go's down hill to a hairpin bend. After the hairpin bend in a about 200 meters you will come to some tree's , Park here.

Walking north across the moors (grass) with the tree's on your left to the end of the tree's 400/500 meters. At that point you can look down on the railway line in the valley.

All roads in the Dales can be very busy on a nice sunny day. Just take your time and drive safely. If your are driving in the Dale's on a weekend. Watch out for Motorbikes,There are hundreds of them out on the roads.

ian480.

Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

Hi ian480,

Thanks for your suggestion , I will check on kwvr later. Base on your description, I will definitely not go to hole of horum. I was searching the forum in my previous posting and someone mentioned about hole of horum. Thought it is easy to reach with a car. How about the other roads, are they easy to drive? Or do u have alternative proposal ?

Thanks in advance.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self drive to Dales - which is the easy route from York?

I do believe you are frightening yourself about driving on side roads, any roads in fact, in Yorkshire. As long as you drive carefully there nothing better then a drive throught the Dales or Moors on a nice sunny day.

The road to the Levisham Moor is not that bad, Like I said you just have to drive carefully.

ian480.

Get answers to your questions about York