We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

I was reading about the Yorkshire Air Museum online and it sounds interesting but I have really only 1 full day and 2 half days in York. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the trip out of town to see it. There seems to be plenty "in town" to see but I would hate to miss out on this if it is really a worthwhile experience. I am interested in WWII history but I can't say I am plane buff.

I'd love to hear from people who have been there.

Thanks!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
202 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

If you have an interest in WWII then it is well worth the visit.

It is presented the way the airfield would have been in the 40s: there are outdoor aircraft exhibits too.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

You could alternatively try Eden Camp, it's a bit further out but thoroughly enjoyable and set in an olf POW camp.

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

Eden Camp is just outside Malton so if you drive from York you can also detour by Castle Howard even if you don't have time to stop you can see it from the road and it is very impressive

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

I am dependent on public transport which is why I was hesitant to head out of town to the Air Museum with the limited bus schedule. But now you've given me another good idea! I hadn't heard of Eden Camp. But I don't think I will have time to go so far outside York on my short visit.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

We were in York a couple of weeks ago. Being a bit of an aircraft nerd I dragged my Wife to the air museum. I must admit at being a bit disappointed with it to be honest. We also went to Eden Camp on a different day and we both found this to be a lot more interesting that the air museum.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

Thanks SpursMad. Gives me a little more perspective. I think I would really be interested in Eden Camp but with a short stay and not having a car I think it might be tough for me to get there.

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

Tallulah, if you visit Betty's Tea Rooms while in York there's a mirror downstairs (outside the toilets) that's etched with signatures, names and addresses of many WWII airmen who were stationed there from all over the world, and a few interesting photos. There was a bar down there during the war that they used to frequent.

I've visited the Air Museum and Eden Camp and enjoyed both, but there's much more to Eden Camp if you can possibly work it in.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

I did a visit to Eden Camp last Winter. I took the bus to Malton and then another to the Bus stop outside the camp.. Eden Camp was very interesting, however it was bitter cold. I had a taxi pick me up and take me back to Malton where I took the train back to York. For a first trip I would go as there is many place in York to visit.

9. Re: Yorkshire Air Museum--worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 05:15