We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

Hull, East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

Stayed in the Lamb and Lion in High Petergate, near the Minster last year just before Christmas and realized we had found the perfect place to stay when we visit York.

Tried to book it again for later this month and have been told that they are "unable to take bookings at present". Tried ringing them but just get a disconnected tone.

Does that mean the place has closed down? Temporarily or for good?

Any news would be gratefully appreciated.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

A little Google search using the term " Lamb and Lion High Petergate York closed" reveals a few results that confirm your suspicions re it's closure... including this one

yorkpress.co.uk/news/…

Edited: 04 May 2010, 23:35
York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

And as that Press article mentions, the parent company has been in and out of financial trouble for a while. It's a shame, because their properties are generally nice, and well-run in and of themselves (the Lamb and Lion, the Guy Fawkes Inn, Marmadukes Hotel etc).

York
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

Yes, closed for good unless new owners decide to continue with the business.

Mboro. UK
Level Contributor
620 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

I walked past on Bank Holiday Monday and it seemed to be open again!

Hull, East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

If they are open again that's great, but I'm still getting a disconnected tone when I try to ring them.

Towcester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

I know its a bit after the original question but I recently read an article saying that the Lamb and Lion has recently reopened after being bought by new company. Aren't doing rooms yet but tone of the article seems to imply that they hope to soon. Fingers crossed for that because like the original poster I thought it was a lovely place to stay and great location.

yorkpress.co.uk/news/…

Hull, East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

That is brilliant news. Bit late because we are stopping in York tomorrow night, but maybe next time.

Mboro. UK
Level Contributor
620 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

i walked past about 2 weeks ago and noticed a couple of men working in the bar/dining area, obviously getting it ready. My previous post was wrong - it was closed.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
379 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

It's most definitely re-opened. :)

Hull, East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lamb and Lion Inn closed down?

Was in York on Thursday, and made a point of popping in for a drink.

According to the barman, the Lamb and Lion now has new owners, the same people who run the Guy Fawkes down the road. I thought they were the people who owned it before, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, the pub's up and running and they had just opened the rooms for customers that very day according to him.

So, good news all round, even if it was a day too late for me.