We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost Walks

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Ghost Walks

My fiance and I are staying in a cottage in Haxby which I believe to be not too far from York.

When I've been to York before, I've always seen people advertising Ghost Walks, but I've only been for the day so never had chance to do one.

Just wondering which is the best one to do?

Mboro. UK
Level Contributor
612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost Walks

I like the one that meets near the Shambles

LONDON
Level Contributor
234 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost Walks

I've just done the York Ghost Walk Experience, which meets outside the Minster at 7pm. £4.50 which is slightly more than the others where you can find vouchers offering £1 off, but it was very entertaining and lasted 90 mins.

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost Walks

Hi Pinklady

I've previously been lucky enough to entertain oversees business guests in York, and have always taken them on the Original Ghost Walk which meets at the Kings head pub (= "the pub that floods" by the Ouse Bridge.) I've been 14 times now- and still go occassionally when friends come to the area. I've never had a bad walk, and have learned lots about the history of York, from Jewish Massacres, to who Georgie Porgie was.

I can't comment on the other Ghost walks, but I can say this particular Ghost walk is first class, great entertainemnt and excellent value.

Check the internet for starting time ( varies a little by season)

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost Walks

Just to bump this one up a bit - does anyone know if any Ghost Walks will be operating over Christmas?

My partner and I are in Leeds/York for Christmas and have a night to ourselves on the 27th and a hotel booked in York.

I'm from Leeds myself so have seen York in all weathers and seasons and times of day but he's only visited during the day in summer. I think taking him on a Ghost Walk might be a nice way to see the city all lit for Christmas, and more interesting than just strolling around.

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost Walks

Bectoria,

I think these operate almost every day (perhaps not Christmas Day! . My favourite is the Origianl Ghost Walk- contact details are here http://www.theoriginalghostwalkofyork.co.uk/ - you could call or e-mail them to check.

Each guide tends to have a slightly different route to tell slightly different stories ( I've been on 14 now!). Winter ghostwaks are best because you may well get taken down dark alleyways and into some relatively poorly lit areas and it really adds to the atmosphere!

Enjoy!

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghost Walks

Thanks! I emailed and they will be operating so that's great news.

The last ghost walk I went on it was only just getting dark at the time and we were accompanied by a group of Brownies - so it wasn't all that spooky!

Really loooking forward to it now :D

7. Re: Ghost Walks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about York