We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday meal for Family

York
Level Contributor
28 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday meal for Family

Hello everybody,

It is my 60th birthday in January 2011, and my wife and I want to celebrate and have a family meal during a sunday afternoon for my children and grandchildren (party of 13) including very young children.

We would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations for a suitable venue anywhere in and around York of any type/kind of eaterie which is reasonably priced and can accomodate our party.

Does anyone have their own or other peoples experiences to draw on which would help us in making the right choice.

Many thanks in anticipation, Noggin.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday meal for Family

If you fancy a ride out into the countryside . I can think of the White Swan in Ampleforth,The Hare at Scawton . They both have web sites but you may care to have a ride up to see what is on offer before hand. If these are not quite child friendly enough for you -as you didn't mention the age of the children The White Horse at Ampleforth may be an idea as they are very accommodating.

York
Level Contributor
28 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday meal for Family

Thanks for the recommendation we will give this some thought, and if the weather ever improves we will try to have a look at these places.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday meal for Family

The roads are pretty clear now just watch for black ice on the corners and if you come over little bridges they may be a bit dicey too

Edited: 04 December 2010, 23:49
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday meal for Family

If you want to stay in York you could try Ask at the Assembly Rooms. The food is nice and the prices aren't bad but the best thing is the setting, the georgian building - it's very grand and they can take big groups.

They have a private round painted room that most people don't know about and you can book it for free if you are taking a group.

Details about the building: yorkconservationtrust.org/properties/…

A picture of the round room:

flickr.com/photos/…

York
Level Contributor
28 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday meal for Family

My wife and I have been recommended to try ASK, and seeing as they have this room we will seriously consider it for our venue, thanks for the info we are very grateful that people take the time and trouble to reply.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday meal for Family

The recommendation of the Assembly Rooms is a good one. I was interested to read about the round room.....I shall remember that for future parties.

Just so you have an alternative suggestion, the other place you could try is the Pizza Express by Lendal Bridge. They can cater for big parties, there's a good atmosphere and they are used to catering for young children.

Happy 60th.

7. Re: Birthday meal for Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2011, 05:16