We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

There are seven of us arriving by train from London in the middle of an August week for a two night stay in York. We are looking at the Premier Inn on Blossom Street as a possibility, since it is close to the train station. Since four of our party are in their late 60s and early 70s, (there is also an 8 year-old with us too), we wanted to make sure the area around the Premier Inn would be safe after dark with a few good local restaurants/pubs that would be a few minutes from the PI. It would be nice if we could just walk a few minutes from the train station and drop off our bags, then head out for sight seeing.

So, any comments about the safety of the Premier Inn area after dark would be appreciated, as well as recommendations for local family pubs or other places to eat that are close to the PI.

Finally...we are planning are renting a car and heading to the Lake District after our stay in York. Are there any rental car companies close to the train station in York where we could pick up the rental car when we are ready to head out?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

Thats a good area on the whole...very busy , lots of shops and restaurants and buses go up and down the main street outside as well.

There is a car rental booth on York Station itself - I think its Hertz. I have used the Avis car rental office in York which is about a 5 pound taxi fair from York station. They also offered to deliver the car for me so that is another option. As far as I know - no rental agencies are open at the weekend however.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

I've not been there for awhile, but I remember it being reasonably quiet of an evening (with the possible exception of a weekend). The link below will allow you to go on street level view so you can take a 'virtual stroll' around the area, which also has markers for pubs, cafes and places of interest etc.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&xhr=t&q=Blossom+St,+York,+YO24,+UK&cp=5&safe=active&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

This link will show you the crime levels in the immediate areas, and although this might appear a bit daunting when you first see it, you will see when you zoom in and see the types of crime committed that it is quite good for a city centre.

www.police.uk/crime/…

Edited: 15 May 2011, 16:46
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

Blossom Street is a fine area at all times of the day and night. In fact, I can't really think of anywhere in York that would be considered in any way risky!

There are some loud pubs and clubs on nearby Micklegate, but you shouldn't be disturbed by any noise from Micklegate when staying at the Premier Inn on Blossom Street.

However, ask for a room that doesn't face onto the street, to reduce potential disturbance from road noise. Blossom Street is a busy road.

There is a Europcar desk in York railway station.

Enjoy your visit to York!

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

Thank you for your responses. Are there any suggestions for family-type pubs around the PI? I've been told there were a lot of family friendly pubs in the UK that would be suitable for all ages to go for dinner (and if there is music, then even better). Are there any great places for breakfast close to the PI?

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

There is a Wetherspoons very close by which would be good for breakfast.

The Brigantes pub should be good for food as it is a Market Town Tavern and they usually have excellent food

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

We stayed at Blossom St South which is the newer of the Premier Inns.

The restaurant and bar there is suitable for children.

Also, we visited Delrios Restaurant twice which is 2 minutes walk away and a Mexican restaurant further up Micklegate.

Only takes 5 minutes to walk from station to Premier Inn and you can walk into town along city walls from Micklegate Bar.

Hope this is useful

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

We stayed at Blossom St South which is the newer of the Premier Inns.

The restaurant and bar there is suitable for children.

Also, we visited Delrios Restaurant twice which is 2 minutes walk away and a Mexican restaurant further up Micklegate.

Only takes 5 minutes to walk from station to Premier Inn and you can walk into town along city walls from Micklegate Bar.

Hope this is useful

8. Re: Neighborhood around Premier Inn on Blossom Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 05:17