We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

We will be in York during late September. One thing we wish to do is to take the North Yorkshire Moors Railway from Pickering to Whitby, spend a few hours in Whitby and then take the bus back to York. (It would be during the week, so am looking at weekday schedules.)

It appears that this would be our itinerary -

#840 bus from York train station to Pickering (The 9:40 AM would appear to get us into Pickering at 11:05 AM) -

getdown.org.uk/bus/bus/840-summer.shtml#notes

The Yorkshire Coast Express leaves from Pickering at 12:00, arriving in Whitby at 13:35 -

nymr.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/timetable/

There are buses back from Whitby to York train station at 16:40 and 17:50 (but I don't really understand about this "X40" business in relation to the 17:50 bus). As nice as I am sure that Whitby is, we really would want to be able to get back to York (and our accommodation) to spend the night, so am thinking that the 17:50 bus would be our last direct chance (as opposed to having to transfer at some point).

Have I understood this correctly? Is there other bus service than the 840 that we should be looking at? Also, do we just pay the bus driver when we get on, and is it exact fare?

Many thanks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Were you planning on spending time in Pickering? Are you taking the train because you want to experience the train ride? I ask this because there's a bus directly from York to Whitby, it does stop in Pickering. I recently did the bus both to and from Whitby/York in one day, and it wasn't too difficult. I'm going to contact my friend who figured out the timetables, she'll be able to explain it much better than I can.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

From following links within the site reached from your first hyperlink (hope that makes sense), there is further information about fares and the route. Normal practice on English bus services is that tickets can be bought from the driver. Generally, the exact fare is preferred so that difficulties do not arise in giving change. Services where the exact fare must be tendered tend to be those operating within a town. Also spotted that tickets can be bought on line, if you wish to take that option. So far as the difference between 840 and X40 is concerned, this seems to indicate that the X40 journey takes a more direct route from York to Leeds than the 840 does, so quite inconsequential to your journey from Whitby. You should be aware that there are better views to be had from the road than from the railway.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

The 17:50 bus from Whitby will get you into York around 8:00pm, but you might need to transfer at Malton. (it's easy to do, the 840/X40 pulls in and you get on the 843)

I say 'might' because back in May, I emailed Coastliner and asked for their bus schedule (since there was a problem with downloading it from their website). The schedule they sent doesn't quite match the one on the link you sent, which shows the 17:50 bus as being direct.

In any event, I do believe the 17:50 is the last one from Whitby to York. Since most places close up around 5:00 anyway, it's a good one to catch. And, I'll add my voice to those saying that there are some great views to be seen from the bus, especially if you get up top - both times I've been on it, it's been a double decker bus.

If you do decide to do the bus route both ways, you can buy a return ticket from the bus driver in York. I think it was £12.50 (or £16.50 - sorry, we did two bus trips in as many days, and I could be confusing them).

Hope that helped at least a bit.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Your understanding is correct. When a bus service has an X prefix it just means it's an express so the X40 should make fewer stops than the 840, but it's the same route and according to the timetable the journey takes more or less the same time.

The 17.50 is the last direct bus. There is a later one at 19.45 but you have to change at Malton.

If you are making a return journey on the 840/X40 there are freedom day tickets for individuals and families

www.yorkbus.co.uk/fares.jsp?fareTypeID=2

If you don't want to decide what ticket to buy in advance it's all right just to buy your ticket from the driver. There shouldn't be any problem getting change.

There is a railway between Scarborough and York so you can actually get back to York a bit quicker by getting the number 93 bus from Whitby to Scarborough and catching a train from there to York. The 93 is operated by Arriva so you won't be able to use a Coastliner ticket on it. I think it is £5 for a single. There is one at 17.40 or 18.34 that will connect with a train.

There's a journey planner on

http://www.yorkshiretravel.net/welcome.do

If you take the default options for Whitby and York it should give you all the times and routes. The timetables only go up to July but I would expect them still to be the same for September.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Thank you to all who responded.

When we started to do our research for our stay in York, the North Yorkshire Moors Railway came up on one of our searches. Since there is not a lot of opportunity to ride the train, in particular one drawn by steam engines, in Western Canada, the idea intrigued us. So, it it is the train trip on the NYMR across the moors that would be the focus of the day. The fact that Whitby is on the North Sea and even has ruins (for DH to take more pictures of ruins) is "icing on the cake".

Thanks for the suggestion about travelling back through Scarborough. By late September, it will be dark for the trip back. It is helpful to know that there is a faster way than taking the bus back from Whitby to York.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Would it work better to change your day around in that you take the bus first to Whitby, spend as much time as you wish there, then the train back to Pickering and the bus from Pickering to York? Personally that would be the way I'd do it. That way you wouldn't have to worry about being stuck in Whitby for the night (although I can imagine far worse things!).

A hire car would be a great alternative - is this something you could consider? I could easily plan you a brilliant day across the Moors where you could see Whitby, do the NYMR ride AND stop and explore some of the other wonderful places in this area that you wouldn't get to see or visit by using public transport. It's a really beautiful area with much to see.

Do check the timetables after July as they have a horrible habit of changing.

Edited: 20 June 2011, 17:53
Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Would definitely turn the day round-bus to Whitby, then NYMR to Pickering-you could get last train back, then bus from Pickering to York .Or and here is the huge advantage of this way round you could get a bus to Malton and train to York or even better a taxi to Malton for the train to York. This way round would give the potential for a much longer day out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Thanks again for all the advice. You have given us much to consider. The TA forums are so helpful in planning our travels.

I probably didn't make it sufficiently clear in my first post that it is the trip via the NYMR that is the attraction for us on this outing. Everything else is therefore being planned around the trip on that particular train during daylight hours. We are willing to cut short our time in Whitby (no offence intended to what appears to be a very attractive town to visit) in order to be sure that we take the train.

It's funny how, when you plan a trip, certain things become "must dos", without any apparent logic to the outside and, probably more practical, viewer. And no doubt everyone's list of "must dos" is different. So, I think we will risk doing the trip the way we are thinking of it, keeping an eye on our watches to ensure that we get back to York in time.

Thanks again.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

I'm slightly confused - if the train is so vital why aren't you getting a return ticket there and back on it instead of going just one way?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: York to Whitby (and back) via NYMR and bus

Thanks, morgana. Sorry to cause confusion. However, your question made my go back and re-examine why we thought that we would take the bus back. There isn't enough time between our arrival at Whitby and when the train leaves to go back to Pickering to stretch our legs. The next and final train arrives in Pickering too late to pick up the last bus coming out of Whitby. So, it seemed a reasonable compromise to take the bus to Pickering, train to Whitby and then bus back to York. (However, I am going to look into the suggestion that we get back via Scarborough.)

Also, a bit of a confession. I am guilty of using the "royal we" in talking about the train trip. The train is on my wish list. Having time to take pictures in Whitby, in particular the ruins, is on DH's wish list. So......

Get answers to your questions about York