We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

We are hoping for some advice / information from someone regarding options for getting a little package back from the rail station in York.

We will be posting our review regarding our fabulous day trip to York in a day or two -- for now, will just say that it was possibly the best day trip we've ever taken. What a wonderful city!

When we returned to the York rail station I was carrying a little brown paper "Betty's" bag containing a point-and-shoot camera, some small binoculars, a small box of treats from Betty's that I was bringing back to London for my daughter, and a couple of other small items. Unfortunately, I managed to forget and leave this little bag sitting on the platform when the train left the station for London.

Long story short, the rail workers in York were able to locate the bag and are holding it for us at the York station. We were hoping that they would be able to simply send it down to London via one of their trains today, but they've just told us that they aren't able to do that. Our only options are to come get the package ourselves, or to send a messenger of some sort to the station to collect it for us.

We'd really like to get the package back somehow, as the little camera has a lot of our photos from our current trip to London (it's not a terribly valuable camera). However, we'd like to find another way to get it besides going there ourselves, as we only have 2 more days here in London, and going back to York will require one of us to buy a fairly expensive ticket and, worse, spend one of our last 2 days shuttling back and forth.

Does anyone know of a messenger service of any sort that might be able to pick up our package at the station and mail it back to us in the U.S.? Or get it back down to us in London somehow? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks very much.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

If I lived a little nearer York station I'd go and get it and mail it to you. Hopefully done kind soul will offer. Have you asked if they will post it to you (if you pay postage obviously)? You are very lucky they found it, I'm surprised someone hadn't taken it!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Yorkshire folk are very honest!

I too would go to York station if I lived nearer. I've also just checked to see if my husband is travelling down to London in the next few days, but unfortunately he's not.

However, there are a few York residents who use this site and will hopefully be able to assist.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

I am not anywhere near but am bumping this so someone else can maybe help you??

GOOD LUCK!!

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Yeah, I can go get that for you - send me a private message with your address details and let me know if there's a name the bag is held under.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Great job Brickie-hope it works out.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Excellent well done Brickie! I do agree that Yorkshire folk are honest , but which they had been when my son put his brand new school shoes down in asda!

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Thanks so much, Brickie -- that's very very kind of you. Fortunately, I won't need to put you to the trouble after all. After a certain amount of confusion and many calls back and forth, we eventually sorted it out. Turns out that it got just a bit too complicated for the rail station and UPS to sort out. Luckily for us, the very kind man we were speaking to at the rail station took pity on us and arranged for our things to be sent down to London after all. It was very careless of me to leave the bag there at the station; I am very grateful that it worked out well. And very grateful to you too, Brickie -- thanks again for offering to help.

Best regards,

Judy

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

Nice to hear a happy ending. Thumbs up to Brickie as well for the offer of help

9. Re: Help Please -- Left package at York Rail Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 04:17