We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
525 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Help please

Also staying 3 days/2nights after visiting London and heading to Edinbourgh. We are toying with renting a car in York and driving north to Edin. This is hubby's first trip to UK and he would really love to see some horse farms and breweries/pubs and I think that traveling through N. Yorksire might be the thing to do. I cant find much on the horse thing, altho we have been invited to call on a farm that breeds beautiful shire horses, south of York. Would one day on the road between York and Edin. be enough to see scenery and allow to stop and visit some places? ALSO - can anyone recomment a website that would show a map of the Yorksire area. Lots of questions here, thanks for any replies.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please

It would be difficult to see much in one day but you could head across to Ripon (nice cathedral town) then up to Masham for Theakstons or Black Sheep Brewery. North then (possibly via Aysgarth Falls) to Richmond (market town with castle) and then onto the A1/A68 to Edinburgh (the A68 is a beautiful road much better than going to Edinburgh on the A1.

Sorry can't help with horses!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please

There are numerous maps of the area which you can easily find on google but you have spelt it incorrectly twice in your post, so I am wondering if that's why you have been unable to find them? It's Yorkshire not Yorksire - hope this helps!

Edited: 17 August 2011, 08:53
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please

Welcome to Yorkshire's official site www.yorkshire.com

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please

I like Joe's suggestion. If you do that go to Middleham (just north of Masham) they have quite a few stables and do tours,mornings only, so that may not fit wth your travel plans (www.middlehamonline.com/page6.htm)

Other alternatives: Visit the York brewery (www.york-brewery.co.uk) or at least one of it's pubs while you are in York .

Or: Visit Crompton brewery in the North York Moors (www.croptonbrewery.com) then drive through Hemsley and onto Sutton Bank KA Ryan has a stables there (directoryoftheturf.com/profile.cfm/…4800) I don't know if he does tours but it would be worth asking. Then onto the A19 at Thirsk (like the A1 but a bit quieter) and then cut over at Newcastle onto the A68 (follow thw airport signs and they will lead you straight to it).

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please

Middleham has a good castle too!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please

You'd be driving right past Durham and it seems a shame not to stop, but then you'd be rushing to get to Edinburgh same day - might be worth a night in Durham to see the 900-year old Castle (parts still inhabited by students) and Cathedral.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please

Yes Durham is great too - you could miss Richmond and go there instead!

Portland, Oregon
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please

Just north of York and on the coast is Robin Hoods Bay. . . One of my favorite stops near York, and you can't beat the view, and the hike through the countryside....eveything England has to offer!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please

Robin Hood's Bay is great but it's a fair way from York (50 miles and a good hour and a half by road).

I think the suggestion above by Joe is very good, but as mentioned do stop at Middleham. You may see some of the racehorses exercising out on the gallops just outside the town. And the Castle is incredible too.

If you are after a lunch stop, I can recommend the Wensleydale Heifer at West Witton.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please

like someone has said cropton brewery is fantastic. a lovely village pub too with good pub grub.

york brewery is also good, inside the city walls at toft green

malton has lots of racing stables, whether you would be able to visit i'm not sure as they normally have one open day per year http://www.welovemalton.co.uk/whats-on/

enjoy your stay