We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York at Christmas?

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Notts
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
York at Christmas?

Hi all,

We have never visted York and we would love to visit around Christmas time. We are a couple in our early 30's looking for a festive city break.

We will be arriving on Wed 21st December and staying for 2 nights, departing on Fri 23rd December. I have a few questions if there is anyone kind enough to help me out.

1) We are looking for basic accomodation at a cheap rate. I have been looking at Travelodge. We want to be close to city, shops and restaurants and don't want to have to drive. Which travelodge is best? Micklegate Travelodge....or Travelodge Central? They have a great offer on at the moment at £75 for 2 nights.

2) Is York a good place to visit at Christmas time? Are there any festive things to visit or do?

Any advice and info would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Sam

Notts
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York at Christmas?

Also just noticed a park inn and a premier inn...defo open to suggestions about accomodation.

Really we just want basic/cheap accomodation. It is more important to us that we are close to shops, city centre and christmas shopping/markets/festive attractions.

Thanks again

Sam

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York at Christmas?

Hello. My sister and I always stay at the Park Inn when we go to York for our annual Christmas trip. It is more central than the Premier Inn, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Travelodge locations.

You'll find details of York's festive things on this website:-

visityork.org/inspire/christmas/default.aspx

You'll have a great time. It's a beautiful place with lots of quirky shops, and really nice places to eat and drink. Lots of the streets are fully pedestrianised too, so it is a pleasure to walk about.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
99 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York at Christmas?

All the hotels mentioned are quite handy for York. From the Premier Inn Micklegate bar is a few yards away and the street usually has some decoration. A mixture of shops on this street, and it is Yorks Party street in the evening - so at Christmas it will be interesting - safe as it is well policed. Similarly Travelodge is closer to town centre but is very central to the party. The ugly Park Inn although close by is in a street with few other attractions so quieter. It is just a very brief walk over Ouse bridge from all these to be in the town centre, which has various markets at Xmas (although you are going quite late in the festivities, which are at their peak in late November).

If you are not party people and worry about young people having inebriated fun, then you might prefer to stay at a hotel away from Micklegate.

The town is great, plenty of good shopping and pedestrians rule (although beware the bicycles!)

York, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York at Christmas?

Don't miss the Pantomime at the Theatre Royal if you come at Christmas. It's famous! The dame is legendary among panto goers.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York at Christmas?

Can you please tell me how far the Christmas Markets are from the train station? I am looking to come on the weekend the market is on?

Want to book train tickets and trying to work out how long I would need to get round the xmas market, without rushing!

York, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: York at Christmas?

Everything in York is an easy walk from the train station. Why not look at a street map? The market is on. Allow yourself as long as you can in York as there is a lot to do?

York, UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York at Christmas?

I know this won't suit your dates but the festival of angels is always nice - muled wine, ice sculptures and "real snow"!

www.yorkfestivals.com/metadot/index.pl…

If you are struggling to find hotels at a reasonable rate then a B&B would be a good option. There are some great ones in or just outside the city walls.

8. Re: York at Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 09:26