We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Yorkshire

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Yorkshire

We are considering a 3 day visit (nights of August 7, 8 & 9)to the Yorkshire area, after spending about 10 days in Ireland.

We would fly into Manchester, rent a car and try to get in as much sight-seeing, pub-grubbing and James Herriot reminiscing as possible before catching our flight out of Heathrow on the 10th of August. Is this itinerary manageable?

Here is what we are seeking in the way of suggestions and information:

1. Places to stay. We'd like to stay in Thirsk one or two of the nights, then a little further South on the last night, to shorten our drive to the airport on the last day. We don't need 3 or 4 star, just clean and safe. Hostels are right up our alley.

2. Suggestions as to sights to see in the Yorkshire area. We are interested in culture, history and gardens. Is Hadrian's wall too much of a drive? The Herriot museum in Thirsk sounds perfect to us.

3. Any events of musical, cultural or culinary interest in the area at that time.

4. Any other tip that a couple of Yanks need to know.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

Manchester to Thirsk is about 2 hours, Thirsk to Heathrow about 6. Allow extra for traffic, darkness, and breaks - there is a coffee stop about every 20 miles.

East of Thirsk over to Scarborough is lovely country. There is a good garden at Harrogate called Harlow Carr.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

Hi there

Well, there’s enough to keep you busy in Yorkshire for a month, let alone 2 or 3 days, but I will try and point out the main highlights and then you can do some research and see what appeals.

As I live in the area I don’t have recommendations of specific places to stay, but if you have a car you could perhaps stay somewhere rural. Mnay farms do a very reasonable bed and breakfast, and if you like peace and quiet this might be ideal for you. www.yorkshirenet.co.uk has lots of suggestions.

Also if you search under my previous postings you will find lots of info.

Thirsk has the Herriot connections as you mention, but if you have watched the TV series you will see that it was filmed in the Yorkshire Dales. These cover a large area, and consist of different dales such as Nidderdale, Wensleydale, Swaledale etc. If you have seen Calendar Girls it is mainly set in Wharfedale. The Dales are stunning and have many points of interest – beautiful villages, gorgeous scenery, some great places to eat etc. You would need a car to tour them, but are well worth a visit.

The Yorkshire Moors are also lovely. Different to the Dales and again with many attractions. The North Yorks Moor Railway is great. www.northyorkshiremoorsrailway.com

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Gardens are a World Heritage Site and a major draw. Try to avoid a warm Sunday when visiting, and try to get there when the place opens (10am I think) to appreciate the place properly.

www.fountainsabbey.org.uk

Castle Howard is a magnificent stately home.

www.castlehoward.co.uk

Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay on the coast are both worth a visit.

Rievaulx Abbey and Jervaulx Abbey are lovely. www.jervaulxabbey.com

York itself has numerous attractions – the Minster of course, Natonal Railway Museum etc

www.nrm.org.uk

Please get back to me when you have more idea of where you are staying and what you are doing, and I can help you out with good places to eat – Yorkshire has some wonderful food including the famous Yorkshire puddings!

Middle of nowhere...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

Definately do the North Yorkshire Moors. A great little pub and inn is the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge - it's on top of the world in the middle of nowhere with fabulous views, great food, warm open fires, popular with locals and hikers.

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

My advice is get into the Yorkshire Dales. Drive up to Hawes (go up the A1 from Thirsk and take the Bedale exit)its the A684. Then across a road called Buttertups, this takes you from from Wensleydale into Swaledale. It was James Herriots favorite drive. It takes a while to do and the roads get a bit narrow (but not too narrow!) but its absoutely gorgeous. My only bit of advice about driving is if you are driving slow and have lots of cars behind you then stop and let them past. There are lots of villages to drive through that have pubs that do food and little tea shops. Middleham has a castle and so does Richmond.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

I wouldn't miss Whitby.

C

x

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

HeyFake Names!

We are staying at "Oswald's" in Sowerby,which is kind of at Thirsk. Go to Google and type in Oswald's . That's how I found it.We're booked in for the 31st of this month.

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

Oh I guess it's called "Oswald's with rooms"

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

Try Bronte country as well.http://www.visitbrontecountry.com/

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

or Skipton Castle is good for a visit:http://www.skiptoncastle.com/events.htm

Nebraska
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Yorkshire

We really appreciate all the great information. Our departure is fast approaching, and we are getting really excited about all of it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about York