We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking shoes?

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
walking shoes?

What shoes do you use for all your walking? If I'm in hills/dales/York walking...is it running shoes? If so, since everyone talks about the dampness and rain, don't you get soaked? Are there some running shoes with waterproofing? I'm ready to go out to buy a pair of new shoes here or in York if there IS a great pair to buy. Here we have waterproof shoes called "Duckies" but they are not the best for longer walks.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking shoes?

I have a pair of berghaus walking "trainers"

There should be plenty of shops in York to buy exactly the shoes you need and you will have more idea of the weather you need to cater for.

Check www.blacks.co.uk they have a store in York.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking shoes?

Hi again

If you are walking in the Dales then you definitely need some broken in walking shoes or boots. Ordinary trainers will soon get ruined. I'm not talking just mud here - I am talking about fields full of cows and sheep! Hope you get the picture...........also some of the paths are steep, slippery and rocky, and it would help to have proper support for your ankles.

Ironically I always stock up on a pair of walking boots when I go on holiday to America. I like Timberland ones and can get them for a fraction of what I would pay in England. However, if you are buying over here then Blacks (as already mentioned) and Milletts both stock a good range at reasonable prices.

For town then trainers or running shoes would be fine.

Don't be put off by tales of dampness and rain - it makes it sound as if the streets are permanently running with streams of water and that's not true! I successfully clip around Leeds in my high heels when I am at work, even in winter.

York
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking shoes?

If you're going through Skipton on your way to the Dales then stop off at the Hawkshead shop in the mall there. They do some good walking boots at very good prices - I have a pair of their boots, and also a pair of 'Lomer' walking shoes which are fantastically comfortable and have served me well in town and country all round Australia and New Zealand too.

Enjoy Yorkshire !

Get answers to your questions about York