We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Of my limited choices for lodging in mid-May, a place with openings is Bar Convent which is fairly close to the railway station but google maps shows it would take 1.6 miles to walk to the National Railway Museum from there or 1.9 miles from York Minster because of a bunch of railroad tracks that you can't cross over so you have to go a really long way via Wellington Row and Leeman Rd. Isn't it possible to walk over those tracks to get to the museum and save a bunch of walking? I was told that it's only .6 miles from the museum to the minster, not 1.9 miles.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

ER, do you want to be run over by a train then??

Walking over, or along railway tracks is suicide here, not to mention trespassing on railway property.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Here is a map of York City Centre to help you. The Railway Museum is really not that far from York Minster:

visityork.org/information/mapcitycentre.htm

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Maybe you should look at a different mapping program. Bing maps say 1.2 km and don't ask you to go via Wellington Row - just turn left on the first street past the train station.

And no, you can't just cross the train tracks any old place you feel like.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

The problem is that Google maps suggests you reach the NRM via Wellington Row. The route plotted for cars from the Bar Convent to the NRM is more sensible. As for the railway tracks, Leeman Road will take you under them.

UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Good advice, it really usn't that long a walk.

I've been sitting on my hands about this... the poster has been lots of good advice but does not seem to be able to use the words "please" and "thank you"

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Sadly, those that say "thankyou" on here are in the minority. It makes me think twice before answering questions. Yet few seem to mind.

Good manners is very much a thing of the past.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Turn right out of the Bar Convent, go to the traffic lights facing the city walls. Cross the road there and you will see the station just ahead of you (you have the city walls on your right). The York wheel, next to the station, can be seen a long way off if you want to navigate by it. Go past the station, turn left at the next set of traffic lights. Go under the railway bridge and the Railway museum is on your right.

10 minutes max. The Bar Convent is a lovely place to stay.

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

Also, don't be too harsh on someone from Utah asking whether you can walk across the railway tracks - it's a perfectly valid option somewhere you only get one or two trains a day, if not a week.

Yorklandlady's directions are absolutely right. As an alternative, when you reach the station, enter it, cross the footbridge all the way to the the back entrance of the station and follow the path you end up on - this should take you directly to the entrance of the NRM.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

If I were walking to the NRM from the Bar Convent I would cut through the station as Brickie suggests (by far the quickest route). However, whilst there is a lift to minimise some of the flights of stairs, the end part of the footbridge requires a degree of mobility - it's no good for anyone in a wheelchair. If you do cut through the station the NRM is to the left when you reach the main road.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to the National Railway Museum--the shortest route

The signage from the station is pretty obvious as to the way to the NRM. Just watch the roads as there's traffic from several directions. Do look at the beautiful North East Railway Tile map just past the shop, if anyone wants to buy me a copy - northeasterntilecompany.co.uk/BookingOffice/…