We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to York

epsom
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Visit to York

I am planning to vist York.

How long would you advise to stay, I want to see all the major sights in the town ?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to York

How long have you got? The following are major attractions and you will need two or three hours for most of them. If you try to do too many in one day you will get tourism burnout (not to mention sore feet!). So:

the City walls

York Minster

the Railway Museum

York Castle and the Castle Museum

St Mary's Abbey and the Yorkshire Museum

the Viking Centre

the Treasurers House (NT)

York Art Gallery

the medieval guildhalls, especially the Merchant Adventurers Hall

As well as that lot there are the medieval city churches (the best, IMHO, are Holy Trinity, Goodramgate and All Saints, North Street), the Quilt Museum (in the medieval St Anthony's Hall), the whole medieval streetscape of York with its narrow streets and snickleways (tiny passageways between streets) - try the Shambles, Stonegate, Petergate, Goodramgate for medieval streets and the grander eighteenth-century buildings on Micklegate.

Leave yourself some time to enjoy York Market and some good shops (not all chain stores).

I have visitors who come back year after year for a week and who have still not exhausted all York's riches. Just give yourself enough time to appreciate them all without exhausting yourself.

Enjoy!

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to York

... and don't forget a Ghost Walk in the evening. I like this one:

www.theoriginalghostwalkofyork.co.uk/ A great way to learn York's History without having to read a history book!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to York

That Viking centre is that otherwise known as Jorvik to some people?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to York

Put it this way, I went for three nights last year and needed to go back again a few months later for four nights (I did do a day trip to Whitby the second time though). I'm also going back in May for an even longer stay, but I plan to do a few things beyond York as well, of which there are plenty.

Have you considered getting a Yorkshire/York Pass (as from April)? I don't know what the general view is of the Pass is here, but I used one on my trips and found it useful.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 19:07
5. Re: Visit to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 10:28
Get answers to your questions about York