We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

How crowded are they usually?

I'm off to York next week and am intending to do a couple of walks in, and near, the North Yorkshire Moors. I was going to do one maybe next Wednesday which would involve travelling to Pickering and then catching the NYMR service to Levisham. I might do this on the Saturday though depending on the weather.

The other walk involves travelling all the way to Whitby, maybe on the following Monday.

I travelled from York to Whitby one Thursday morning last year and the bus was absolutely heaving (with OAPs), so much so that not everyone who wanted to could get on at later stops!

Is it always like that?

hull
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

Moorsbus - http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/moorsbus/ - could be another option if you can travel on a sunday. Lots of good connections at Helmsley.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

Sunday's a bit of a problem, as I am planning on doing two talks, with a break of a day or two in between, and I come home on the Tuesday.

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

People with bus passes do make good use of them-so at applicable times buses can be very busy

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

What is it with OAPs and Whitby? I went there today, and this time I went via Scarborough. I came out of the station, went to the bus stop, and there was a queue about a mile long; all OAPs! I thought they'd all be gone since it was a 10:40 am bus, which well past when their bus passes become active. I decided to wait for the next one, which was packed as well - luckily I got a seat.

5. Re: Buses: York-Pickering/Whitby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:41