We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkshire Wheel Website

York, UK
1 post
Save Topic
Yorkshire Wheel Website

Just discovered this website about York's newest attraction the Yorkshire Wheel. Pictures of it being built, videos, etc.

http://www.york-wheel.metaltype.co.uk

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

Metaltype: Wow, that was sure built fast. Thanks for providing the link.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

Holy cow. That was fast! Seems like only last month we were talking about the idea being discussed. This is the most fascinating bit from the website:

>Construction started in the last week of March 2006 and the wheel opened to the public on April 12.< I hope they didn't miss any bolts. :)

£6, 13 min. ride.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
341 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

Don't see the point of those wheels - temporary structures at funfairs are OK but they are a bit of an eyesore in my opinion. What was a beautiful skyline in York, with the minster and city walls has been blighted by this monstrosity.. The same goes for the London Eye, it was only meant to be up for a few years at the millenium but we are stuck with it. Britain is not Las Vegas!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

Hamaburger Man, are you from York? You've seen the wheel? I don't disagree with you, but I've learned to love the London Eye.

York
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

The wheel is a great thing that on the whole has been embraced by the city and put York on the nationwide news and GMTV who did the weather from there this morning.People who moan about new ideas get on my nerves, you do not have to look at it if you do not want to and you do not have to go on it as nobody will force you.And if you do not live in York go to somewhere else for the day.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

Yorktyke, that's very funny, put up a tourist attraction then tell the tourists to go somewhere else.

But seriously, is it pretty? I find the London Eye to be quite beautiful. The illustration on the website looked more like a typical Ferris wheel. Is that a drawing or a photo? Have you been on it? How's the view?

York
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

I think it looks good, very pretty against the skyline.Not been on it yet as it is currently the school holidays and York is full of families and children and I work in a hotel so no days off for me this weekend.Will go on it soon once the excitement dies down and until then I will just make do with the view I have of it from my garage roof.I do not dislike tourists as they keep me employed just moaners !! Happy Easter.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

Please give us a report after you've had a ride. Happy Easter.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

I couldn't believe how quickly it went up. I visited the Railway Museum in February, then saw this on the news and couldn't understand why I had seen no sign of it!

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yorkshire Wheel Website

I live just up the road - I think it looks OK actually. It's not like it's right next to the minster or anything, you can't see it from the city centre.

It was put up so quickly because it's a prefab bought (rented?) off-the-shelf from a German firm who do this sort of thing all over the place.

My only gripe with it is that I can't imagine you can see an awful lot beyond the Railway station and some wasteground...