We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner recommendations for a Saturday evening?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner recommendations for a Saturday evening?

Thank you for your replies to my questions on this forum.

Apart from the Blue Bicycle are there any other suggestions for somewhere to eat on a Saturday evening please?

I don't want to make a reservation as not sure what time we'll be eating. I also want somewhere that is not too dressed up as we will be in fairly casual clothes after a day of sight-seeing so jeans must be acceptable and trainer-type shoes.

I would prefer to have a few recommendations in case I find some places don't have any tables.

Thank you

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner recommendations for a Saturday evening?

Just reading your other post, I wouldn't recommend the Blue Bicycle for your dinner but that street is full of restaurants that would fit the bill for something a little more casual. I think the Blue Bicycle would be too formal/romantic/special occasion for what you're after.

Anyway, along the same street some more casual places are

www.meltonstoo.co.uk Lovely old historic building, never had a bad meal there, a bit more casual.

www.deli-barbakan.co.uk Polish/eastern european. I haven't managed to eat there yet as it's always packed so that should tell you they're doing something right!

www.jbakers.co.uk Less casual but you can 'graze' which just means order a few small dishes you can share (or not share!)

www.elgauchoyork.co.uk Steakhouse

www.lochfyne-restaurants.com/restaurants/york A chain but it's ok and big so you should be able to just walk in.

www.masonsbarbistro.co.uk I always think of their food as having a mediterranean style but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, they're all along the same street, you can start at J Bakers, Mason's, (pass the Blue Bicycle), Loch Fyne, Melton's Too, El Gaucho & Barbakan and see which menu takes your fancy.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner recommendations for a Saturday evening?

Rustique is nice on Castlegate. www.rustiqueyork.co.uk

Good food and service and not too dressy or formal. But if you are planning on eating there on a Saturday I would recommend making a reservation. They do a set menu and check for any reduced tariffs for early arrivals.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner recommendations for a Saturday evening?

Agree with Ange in that there's some great restaurants down Fossgate/Walmgate.

4. Re: Dinner recommendations for a Saturday evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about York