We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

out the train window - York to Edinburgh

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
out the train window - York to Edinburgh

Our first trip to Northern England and Scotland in June. We will take the train from York to Edinburgh. Is there a guide that lists landmarks visible from the train windows? Just past station x look west to see......

Or maybe the train goes too quickly for us to see anything?

Appreciate your help.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: out the train window - York to Edinburgh

There's probably a guide - hopefully someone more knowledgeable can assist. Two things I always look out for on this trip, and you'll easily see them in terms of train speed.

Durham Cathedral

Holy Island (Lindisfarne) (unless it's absolutely teeming down)

I always sit on the right hand side so I get all the sea views too - at times the line hugs the coast.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 16:10
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: out the train window - York to Edinburgh

From York to Edinburgh you get fantastic views of the coast, I take my AA Road Atlas with me!! going up you need to sit on the right, the line absolutely hugs the coast, and no, it is not that fast, you get to see everything!! Its amazing.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: out the train window - York to Edinburgh

York railway station is rather splendid - look up and around you before you get on the train.

As you pull out of York, you see the Minster on your right. Then on to Durham. Just beyond the station, on your right again, is the cathedral and Castle in the loop of the river Wear.

Then Newcastle, across the bridge.

And then along the east coast - Lindisfarne and so on.

Up to Berwick on Tweed across the (almost semi-circular) bridge.

Then plain countryside until Edinburgh Waverley. As you leave the station look all around.

I hope you have a great trip - the cities are beautiful by day and night.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 18:20
4. Re: out the train window - York to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 March 2013, 17:40
5. Re: out the train window - York to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:19