We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Central Trains

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Central Trains

Can anyone tell me what it is like travelling on the above. I accidently booked us on their service from Kings Cross to York in May. Because I was using the East Coast Line website I thought I was booking on one of their trains. We will be travelling at lunchtime and was hoping they did a nice lunch in First Class or am I going to be disappointed.

45 replies to this topic
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Grand Central Trains

>>Don't hold your breath waiting for food. All that was on offer was water, coffee, tea and biscuits.<<

Um, where do they promise anything else?

And the train being late probably wasn't their fault.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 10:58
2 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Grand Central Trains

I think they may be called Grand Central, because they never venture to the outskirts, like London Kings Cross. Still waiting for my train. Never again. Will drive next time and sit in traffic rather than trust these cowboys.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Grand Central Trains

Which train?

2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Grand Central Trains

11.20 03May2014

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Grand Central Trains

How could you be "still waiting" for a 11.20 train at 17:12.....?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Grand Central Trains

Dreadful journey back from London with GC - air conditioning not working on all standard class carriages. Staff dismissive - "it's not my fault", "it's an old train, can't get the parts". Power sockets blanked off as they no longer work.

Air conditioning not working on the same journey last week.

Toilet - even for a train, truly disgusting.

Back to East Coast for me.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: Grand Central Trains

I travelled on the 13.52 Grand Cental train from York to London today and having booked my seat in the first class carriage expected a pleasant journey similar to the one I experienced when I arrived via East Coast 3 days earlier.

Unfortunately this was not the case. I was bitterly disappointed to see that the carriage was extremely dirty, marks on the windows, the seats in front of me ripped (I have photographs) the arm rests on my chair exceptionally worn and the bathroom facilities rather grim to say the least. In addition to the uncomfortable surroundings there was no wi-if available, to which the customer services assistant was unapologetic and I was surprised to find there was no complimentary lunch - in fact I was required to pay for any substinence other than hot and cold drinks and biscuits, something I have since found out is standard on Grand Central first class services.

A far contrast to the journey I experienced travelling up to York via East Coast trains and any journey I take with Virgin Trains.

Really disappointing to know I could have travelled in the same discomforte much cheaper in standard class and utterly shocked Grand Cental get away with delivering this type of experience for first class paying passengers.

Judging by the service I received today I am unsure whether to expect a response...

Middlesbrough...
2 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Grand Central Trains

Again I would like to reiterate the poor inflexible customer services and will not be using them again after my experience re-eaglescliffe station, whether it is a business trip or a leisure one

Eaglescliffe car park has closed recently and there are extensive restrictions on parking anywhere near it. As a result I will have to get an expensive taxi there and back. Of course when I booked my tickets there were no problems regarding parking at the station.

Despite this problem with parking they will not countenance waving a restriction on breaking the journey at Northallerton, on the way to London. What would it cost to waive this for a period? Nothing.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
269 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Grand Central Trains

GC lease a mix of Cinderella 125 High Speed Trains and the more modern 180 trains. More of the latter are now available for lease to the industry and GC have recently announced their intention to acquire enough to ditch their 125's.

Train cancellations are not always the fault of the Train Operator. Weather, trespass, vandalism, failures of Network Rail track & signalling to name a few external causes.

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Grand Central Trains

NEVER AGAIN will I knowingly book a Grand Central train! I booked 1st class returns, Kings Cross to York through East Coast (now Virgin) and like at least one other person on this forum I found myself on a Grand Central train, for the return leg.The outbound, Kings Cross to York was on an East Coast train. Complimentary breakfast, tea, coffee, excellent WiFi. For the return on Grand Central, the offered waitress service from the buffet car was a response that if I wanted something from the buffet I should go quickly as it would be closing 15 minutes into our 2 hour journey, but I could have tea, coffee and a biscuit, not the wine and dinner I had anticipated on an East Coast train. Wifi was also dreadful. The carriage and seating very dirty.

This weekend my first year undergrad daughter (relevant because this is a journey that we will, between us, be making many times over the course of her degree) made the same journey from York, and unfortunately was also booked onto a Grand Central train. She left York at 7pm anticipating at least a sandwich and coffee in 1st class. Neither. Squash all that was available and the buffet closed for the entirety of the journey. Wifi also again completely useless, she was planning to do some work. In future I will be MUCH more careful with my train bookings and make sure that I am travelling only on East Coast (Virgin) trains.

Reply to: Grand Central Trains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about York