We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget but nice weekend away

Lancashire
Level Contributor
128 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Budget but nice weekend away

Hi, I am hoping to take my partner on a weekend away to York in may but money is tight so I am looking for any good ideas on a budget. I thought you may know of some hidden gems hotel-wise that are in a good location and are lovely to stay in - but hopefully not too pricey. Also, any great recommendations for a restaurant that feels fancy but again, isn't too heavy on the budget. Don't want to sound mean, just not much spare at the moment! He deserves a break though so help much appreciated. Thanks x

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

Don't know what you class as budget ,price wise. How about Pinfold Cottage . good value for money

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

how are you travelling? if you are driving you can find some places in villages a little outside, and they can be much cheaper than things close to the city centre, York is not famous for bargain accomodation.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

Perhaps,

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d5709…

Cheap chain accommodation means hen/stag noise.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 22:58
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

We stayed at the Georgian House in Bootham for 60 pound a night in Feb, very nice B&B and only a couple of minutes from the Minster and he Walls. We also had a very good meal at The Guy Falkes Inn which was a 5 min walk away in Petergate

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d6170…

Stockton, UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

You may want to avoid the final weekend in May as it is a Bank Holiday plus the races are on which means budget is just about impossible

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

I realise this post is a few days old now, but I notice you're a little short on replies regarding restaurants. I'd recommend you have a look at Barbakan, a small Polish restaurant on Walmgate. I wouldn't describe it as 'fancy' (more 'cosy' and 'rustic') but it is definitely a hidden gem - and very reasonably priced.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186346-…

Alternatively, if you don't mind eating earlyish, book a table at Rustique on Castlegate and take advantage of their set menu. It's available Mon-Thurs 12pm-10pm and Fri-Sat 12pm-7pm. I've done this a couple of times and it really is great value for money, with 2 courses for £12.95 or 3 courses for £14.95. A word of warning, though, due to it's ratings on Tripadvisor, Rustique gets booked up so make a reservation well in advance of your trip.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186346-…

Hopefully that'll give you a couple of ideas!

7. Re: Budget but nice weekend away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:19