We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

We have plans to visit both cities (York & Edinburgh) during our UK adventure this June.

We have the option to spend TWO nights and TWO days in one of the cities and ONE night and ONE day in the other.

If you are familiar with both, and had the option which city would you choose to spend the TWO nights and TWO days?

Thanks

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

Impossible to answer really.

What reason(s) do you have for picking these two places out as locations you wish to visit?

Stockton, UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

Both cities are brilliant. There is more to do in Edinburgh but York does get slighty warmer/drier weather.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

if you are travelling from one to the other I would recommend spending one day in each and saying the third for Durham, which is mid way between the two. I would say that Edinburgh probably has slightly more to hold for two days than york, although its quite debatable, and maybe thats familiarity, the key to both (all three) is to be staying centrally.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

I would say 3 days in York

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

1 day/1 night in York on the way to 2/2 in Edinburgh. Love both cities.

York, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

From someone who lives in York I would say you cant do justice to either city in such a short time, but if you dont have transport then I would say York, car parking is very expensive. If you do have transport I would say Edinburgh and stay slightly outside of the city centre. I believe the city has better public transport than York.

Both cities can be expensive to visit. Rail from London is great to both cities. Air travel is better to Edinburgh.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

We found both to be quite similar - if you can, I would just make it three days in either city. It's not really worth 1 day in either. If I had to pick, I'd probably say Edinburgh - but York is truly wonderful two. If you must visit the two, I'd say 2 nights in Edinburgh and 1 in York.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

I'll agree with some of the others here and say that I think you should pick one city for all three days. By the time you factor in travel to and from, your time is best spend in one.

redcar
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

if you are in london i would get early train from kings cross to edinburgh,(aprox 6 hrs)stay for 2 days/nights in edinburgh; then get train[early] from edinburgh to york for 1 day/night.I have spent many 2 night stays in both cites, and are both brill,lots to see/do.if you are traveling by car I would think again both cities not great for parkin,if you are not going from london i would still use rail,but keep all travel tickets/comfermation/reciepts with you.hope you enjoy

redcar
Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TWO Nights in TWO Days in York or Edinburgh

both cities brill where are you traveling from