We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobility scooter and shops in York.

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
mobility scooter and shops in York.

Please can anyone tell me if a small ( 19 inch wide ) mobility scooter would be allowed in shops like Marks & Spencer, Browns, Debenhams , British Home Stores etc, I am visiting York shortly for a holiday, I know York well from previous visits, but, at that time I did not have to use a scooter, I am a very careful driver ! although I can walk shortish distances with the aid of a stick, I would be concerned about leaving the scooter outside the shop in case it got stolen.

Any other advice about York and mobility scooters would be welcome. many thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Don't know myself, but these folk might have the answers you need....

http://www.shopmobilityyork.org.uk/

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

You should be ok access wise, now this might be my own experience but just watch Debenhams and BHS, as access some parts isn't that good and if the shop don't think they just don't allow enough space. Just be warned, one of the smaller independent department stores has a very small lift, and a cafe where access could be a pickle. I'm afraid I can't remember the name it's in the cobbled area, and I think a house of Fraser branch in that area didn't have a lift some years back.

Also, if these places have platform lifts, don't expect to be able to take them on them, as most ones have signs on saying no mobility scooters including most Stannah platform lifts and other ones I know just aren't designed for them I'm afraid, they are designed more for a wheelchair.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
99 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

M&S has large lifts serving all floors at the back of the store - but it is very busy in the food hall in front of these.

Debenhams has a small lift.

I would advise avoiding weekends and school holidays when the shopping area is very busy, inside and out.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Loads of local people use them, generally.you should be ok. The shambles is cobbled as are a few other areas and they might be a bit bumpy for you

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

That's a fair point, I find those kind of places to get around especially on a Saturday, to such a point due to my own problems, I've on one or two occasions given up and gone to a cafe. Just be aware, small shops might ask if mobility scooters if you can walk to walk in, I know there was an issue involving the national railway museum, a lift door and a mobility scooter several years back which resulted in. Lift being out of action for some time so please consider others especially the blind and visually impaired within small shops, as to be honest on occasions it's caused me problems which isn't good.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Thank you all for your replies. I used to come to York with my late,disabled husband,who used a motorised wheelchair,I had not thought about lifts that would take motorised wheelchairs but not scooters, I have e-mailed the land train to ask about going on that to the Railway Museum, ( to save on my batteries ) as they accepted my husbands motorised wheelchair, but, their reply was that it was at the discretion of the driver, a reply that I was very surprised at.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Hi, I think it's due to wether the size won't cause safety issues etc, also certain battery types on these scooters aren't allowed on buses for the same reason, in fact I think the only place which allowed mobility scooters on buses in certain situations was London, I don't think anywhere else does. Also, the land train might have to give priority to wheelchair users etc, and as these scooters are classed as a form of transport in itself.

In regards to the national railway museum, you'll have to watch the lifts down to the tunnel for the main hall, I was told they do have issues with the lifts there being put out by people bashing these doors and in certain situations they do have the power to ask you to leave in such situations if someone does put a lift out of action there by such bashing so be warned.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Many thanks for your replies. it has made me realise that I have made a big mistake in booking to come to York, it seems to have so many difficulties for a mobility scooter user, so I have decided to cancel my two week holiday.and go elsewhere.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

Most of York is perfectly accessible so that seems a bit extreme, anyway now you have cancelled I hope you have a lovely time where you have booked now

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mobility scooter and shops in York.

I did see a few scooters around when I was there but ill put my hands up those shambles area are really going to give you a rough ride, I found it tricky myself to walk on.

I can say the Oxford and Cambridge area is fine, Durham is a bit hilly but Alnwick area is good for access, Whitby has a few small lanes which might be a problem but there are a few museums which access is ok for. Newcastle is accessible plus I think they allow mobility scooters on the Metro system, well some anyway as I think there's a few restrictions but you should be ok, Scarborough centre is fine, there's plenty of cliff lifts etc some of which might take scooters.

The other areas I can suggest is Cantenbury, Chichester, Portsmouth, Penzance, Truro, Lecister, Peterbrough, Bristol, Southampton and Exeter for good access. Taunton, is ok a redevelopment for part of the city centre is or was planned so this might cause problem.

These are from my personal experience with a disability myself, so I am going on my own experiences so I am recommending what I can for your needs.