We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to York

tel aviv
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
visit to York

i intend to be in England at the end of June and i want to spend 2 days in York. i heard about a place (forgot its name) discovered by mistake beyound the ground. the things discovered are from diferent tumes, and the visitor goes thru the eras with a special vehicle seeing diferent things conected with the respective time. can somebody tell me where in York is the above described place? thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit to York

The only attraction in York that I can bring to mind where visitors sit in a special vehicle is the Jorvik Centre, on Coppergate. It is - as the name suggests - about the Viking occupation of York and therefore does not go through different eras. I was in my first year as an undergraduate at the University of York when the site was discovered but can't recall if the archaeologists were deliberately looking for Viking remains or if there was some other project in hand and the remains were found by chance. Possibly you are confusing this with the Castle Museum - within five minute's walk of the Jorvik Centre - where there are exhibits from different eras but no special vehicles to take you round.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit to York

The only thing i can thinl of is the Jorvik Viking Center, there are motorised carts that take you around.

jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/…

Edited: 28 April 2013, 12:54
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit to York

I know the land where Jorvik now is and much of excavations took place was intended as a site for a shopping centre but it is all Viking-era so not various times as others have said...

York
Level Contributor
89 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit to York

It's probably the Jorvik centre - it's interesting to see it. When you come to the UK bring warm clothes with you and waterproof coats. It could be up to 15 - 20c cooler than Tel-aviv, which I have visited.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
713 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit to York

i can only think of is the jorvik centre http://jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/

i would get there early as the queues can be very long

tel aviv
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visit to York

thank you all for your help. appriciate that. hope Chris D enjoyed my country.

York
Level Contributor
89 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit to York

I found Tel-Aviv very atmospheric. It was there that I discovered the joys of eating falafel ...lol.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visit to York

As well as Jorvik , which is I'm sure what you mean, be sure to go to York Museum, if you are interested in history, you can stroll through streets of shops experiencing Victorian times, not to mention the smells! Worth a visit.

9. Re: visit to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about York