We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Airport to York

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Airport to York

Hello!

How do I get to York from heathrow airport?

The most efficient way of getting there is by train right?

Do I need to purchase the ticket in advance and how far in advance would be a good time?

Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

The most efficient way would be to have booked a flight to Leeds/Bradford or Manchester rather than Heathrow.

Otherwise it's Piccadilly Line Tube to Kings Cross where you collect your pre-booked train tickets - cheapest tickets appear a MAXIMUM of 12 weeks before date of travel and can be booked on www.eastcoast.co.uk

London
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

You don't 'need' to book the train tickets in advance: you can always buy on the day. However, the cheapest tickets (a ticket type called 'advance') have to be purchased ahead of travel. Although the 'advance' ticket can be much cheaper than tickets you buy on the day, this ticket has no flexibility. It is valid on one booked train only, and if you miss that your ticket is worthless. If you intend to buy the 'advance' ticket, ensure you allow contingency time in case of any airport delay.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

Ok, but how much cheaper if I can get the ticket in advance?

However if I were to travel to other places from york, is it advisable to get the ticket in advance as well considering that it very much depends on my own time management.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

By the way, how much does it cost roughly to get to York?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

<<Ok, but how much cheaper if I can get the ticket in advance?>>

Well, without looking it up, it could be a difference of £50 or more. Or £200 if you were travelling first class.

<<However if I were to travel to other places from york, is it advisable to get the ticket in advance as well considering that it very much depends on my own time management.>>

What does that mean? If you can turn up on time for a plane, are you not able to turn up on time for a train? If you can't, buy on the day.

Edit; timetables and prices here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Edited: 02 May 2013, 08:48
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

I intend to travel to about 4-5 other cities in England in my 10 days trip, would it be wiser to a britrail pass or something?

7. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 12:53
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

300 pound for taxi is pretty expensive I think.

I am looking into train service I guess.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

Just go to www.nationalrail.co.uk and put in your dates and proposed journeys and it will give you details of fares etc.

BritRail is a booking agent and they will charge you more than you need to pay by booking direct

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Airport to York

>>> By the way, how much does it cost roughly to get to York? <<<

Single fare Heathrow Airport to Kings Cross St Pancras: £5.50

Single fare London Kings Cross to York:

'Advance' - from £13.00

'Super Off-peak' (valid 09.08-14.35 and after 19.00 Monday-Friday, all day Saturday & Sunday) - £48.50

'Anytime' - £124.00

Get answers to your questions about York