We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Greetings to the Forum. We will be spending a couple of days mid July in York. We will have a car. Can anyone suggest nearby towns,say within an hours drive, that are good for exploring,walking?We have spent time before in and around Yorkshire Dales area..Will have passed through Richmond on our way to York. Is it perhaps a good scenic experience to drive eastto visit Whitby, Scarborough and North York Moors? Could we do this drive in aprox half a day? We will spend a full day in around York,seeing the main sights..but if not too much driving,timewise,would love to explore other nearby towns

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

I think that unless you are going to do a flying visit just so that you can tick it off the list you should allow yourselves a full day for your trip to the east coast. You can spend a day or more quite happily wandering around Whitby. Check out what may be on at the Stephen Joseph Theatre in Scarborough.

Otherwise you could drive 45 minutes west and have a look around Harrogate and Knaresborough with a trip to Ripley and then on to Fountains Abbey.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

No, half a day isn't enough for your suggested visit to Whitby etc.

My suggestion would be to visit Helmsley. It's a lovely town with a castle and very close to Rievaulx Abbey.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

You could always visit Castle Howard, near York. Worth a look at.

Harrogate is a very pretty spa town, as already suggested you could visit both Knaresborough and Harrogate in one day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

You could go east to beverley - Georgian town and 2 churches St Marys and the Minster (as good as York Minster) then travel north through the wolds (David Hockney's country) and up to Malton and back to York via Hlemsley.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Harrogate is good if you want the charm, Scarbrough for beaches etc, Whitby for character and Whitby Abbey etc but there's also near by Ripon if you want to do that.

For shoppimg, Whitby is good for independent, Harrogate has the brands and indepdents, Scarbrough seems to be mainly big chains and Ripon has a nice choice of both its just what you want specifically.

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
852 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Depending on how much time you want to spend in the car - if you do the East Coast option from York you'll be spending around 3 hours driving. It's an hour there and back plus travel time between towns.

I'd be tempted to agree with Morgana and try Helmsley. Nice place to while away a couple of hours plus maybe do lunch at The Star at Harome.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 14:00
Gloucester
Level Contributor
70 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Hi there. Whitby is about an hour and a half's drive from York but if you have the time, I would recommend the scenic drive there over the moors. If you do stop off in Whitby I would recommend climbing up the 199 steps to the Abbey. Am staying in York and Whitby myself in July.

Level Contributor
52 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Hi, If you are driving to Whitby I suggest you stop off at Goathland. (The TV series Heartbeat was filmed in and around this village). There is one of the North Yorks Moors railway stations here so you will get a chance to see a steam train operating. The village has lots of "Heartbeat" memorabillia and TV locations there and it has a nice pub for lunch and cafe's for tea coffee sandwiches or even a cream tea. It is well worth spending a couple of hours there.;

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Thanks to everyone for your sightseeing advice,much appreciated.Will be traveling to Morcambe after our time in York,so will go via Harrogate and Knaresborough. I guess the weather and how much time we want to spend driving may determine our options...Really enjoy watching HeartBeat....so that may be the winner!!

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walks around ,near York,Towns nearby

Mbear13,

Word of warning. Not sure when in July you arrive but the main route from York (A64) to the moors and coast can and usually does become gridlocked on weekends if the weather is good. In fact I've seen the traffic at a standstill as far as the outskirts of leeds!

Get answers to your questions about York