We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a room with a view in York

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a room with a view in York

Good afternoon,

We will be staying in York for a few days during our upcoming trip to England. I would like to stay someplace with a view, if at all possible. I found one guest house right on the River Ouse - does anyone know of other places along the river? Or in your opinion, is it worth it to book something along the river (it does come with a bit of a premium)? I'd like to stay close to the centre - within a 10 minute walk. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

African Daisy, thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll look into them, but by now, I'm pretty sure where I'll be staying.

Thanks everyone!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

I stayed in the Dean Court a few years ago in a room overlooking the Minster. It's in a lovely building. It could be run by the Best Western chain now, it wasn't then, but unless it's been renovated it had lots of charm and the view was magnificent. Would choose it over the river if staying in York.

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

We've all been to places where you step out of your room onto the balcony and go "wow that's spectacular" so I can understand why you asked.

York has some great hotels that have wonderful vistas, but as has been said before, most of the time you are going to be out of your bedroom and exploring the sights and sounds of York.

That said - best for views over the Ouse and Guildhall and Lendal Bridge - Park Inn. If you want somewhere just a little down the river then Queens Hotel has lovely river views and some rooms with balconies overlooking the river.

Hilton has lovely views of Cliffords Tower. Lamb and Lion and Guy Fawkes have great views of York Minster, as does the Dean Court which is directly opposite the Western front of the Minster.

Grays Court Hotel has stunning views of the city walls and is in one of the loveliest courtyards in York in the shadow of the Minster.

Judges Lodgings is a recently refurbished smart hotel near the Museum Gardens with a jacuzzi in every room - great for an end of the day soak !!.

Cedar Court Grand - 5 star opulence overlooking the city walls and Lendal Bridge...

See my point - so many places, so many views...choose what rocks your boat...

Edited: 30 July 2013, 01:34
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Thank you, QXZWS - excellent suggestions. I will definitely look into these.

...and thanks for validating my question. :)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

>>I stayed in the Dean Court a few years ago in a room overlooking the Minster. It's in a lovely building. It could be run by the Best Western chain now, it wasn't then, but unless it's been renovated it had lots of charm and the view was magnificent. Would choose it over the river if staying in York.<<

It's still independently owned and run. Best Western is more like a club that the hotels belong to, rather than a standard hotel chain.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Regarding bell ringing at the Minster they practice on a Tuesday evening and it's lovely to walk through the city and listen to them

York
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

The Dean Court underwent a significant refurbishment not so long ago to bring it in line with the other more opulent hotels in York. Traditionalists argue that it may have lost some of its old world charm whilst others welcome the brighter, smarter look and feel. The TA reviews certainly are consistently complimentary. That said there are many as good alternatives.

What it ultimately comes down to is your taste and of course your budget - you've got lots of suggestions - go with your own instinct from now on and whatever happens have a great time...

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Thanks, Jim M & Orbitalgirl. I'll probably go with the Abbey Guest House, on the River Ouse, as it has good reviews, a view of the river (which would be nice to see in the morning), and is very reasonably priced.

Also, not to hijack my thread a second time (maybe I should make a new thread?) - for all those living in York, can you tell me about the best second-hand bookstores in York? We're looking for a nice place to browse and buy a few interesting books.

Thank you!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

I stayed at the Hilton, and it had a nice view of Clifford's Tower.

Vicki- yes, the majority of time will be spent out and about, but it is nice, when in your room to look out and see something that isn't a wall of another building, or some other boring sight. Important? No. Pleasant? Yes.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 14:26
York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Looking for a room with a view in York

Bar far the best second hand bookshop is The Minster Gate Bookshop, in the shadow of York Minster. It's a cornucopia of delights - thousands of books housed over 5 floors in a lovely georgian building. You could spend hours in there and still not see most of the stock. Helpfully all the books are catalogued into areas of interest. minstergatebooks.co.uk/html/…hmepgewh.htm

Just around the corner is the Oxfam Bookshop - not as capacious but still worth looking at on Petergate.

Finally here's a handy resource that lists most bookshops of interest in the York area: http://www.yorkbooksellers.co.uk/

Get answers to your questions about York