We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Me and some friends are planning to come over to the CAMRA Beer Festival on York Racecourse in September.

It must be a pretty big festival if there are over 350 beers and over 100 ciders on offer.

Can anyone who has been before tell me which is the best day and time of the day to go - are some sessions packed out and are there queues?

York
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Looks like it's going to be a "biggy". Think I might pop along as well. This article gives a bit more background.

yorkmix.com/food-drink/…

Based on previous beer festivals I have been to I would avoid Friday night and Saturday due to crowding and lack of beers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Never been there. Please post your feedback after the grand beer experience.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

we normally go on early on on Saturday. last year was much better organised as there was no queueing to get in and there was enough seating to go round. things do start running out though, not a problem if you love beer, but can be if you only like cider.

food always seems a bit expensive and every year we say we will make a proper pick nick and take it in and never quite manage it. major beer munchies always occur

its an easy walk into town afterwards if you want food or more drink.

if you love beer festivals please try pocktoberfest too, smaller, cheaper food, more music and very enjoyable http://www.pocktoberfest.co.uk/ and obviously in October and in Pocklington

Leeds
Level Contributor
634 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Thanks for the info. We have just booked a camp nearby and will be going.

Do they allow little dogs in?

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Hmm, not sure about that, I think I saw some last year but it maybe the beer goggles lol

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Ok, I can't find anything about them being allowed this year, but last years festival guide specifically said it was dog friendly

Leeds
Level Contributor
634 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Thanks for the help. I love a good beer festival.

York
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Just been in The Maltings and picked up the latest edition of the quarterly York CAMRA magazine called "Ouse Boozer".

There's a very good FAQ feature on the Beer Festival and as part of that it says that dogs are allowed in as long as they are well behaved and on a lead at all times.

Leeds
Level Contributor
634 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

Thanks Jim.

Sorry to hijack the thread Augusta. FWIW me and the wife were thinking of 2pm to 10pm ;o)

Cheers

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
823 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: York Beer & Cider Festival 18 - 21st September

I volunteered to work at the festival last year and it was a hoot. Really friendly and good fun. I can't work this year but plan to go along a couple of nights as a member of the public.

Based on last year - Thursday night is the best for beer - lots still on and a great atmosphere without being packed. Otherwise try to get down after work on Friday - you'll still have a good choice with no queue's and it's 8pm when it starts to get busy.

Have fun...

Edited: 29 August 2013, 21:51
Get answers to your questions about York