We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jorvik Viking Centre

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Jorvik Viking Centre

We will be in York for 3 days in July with our 2 teens - 14 and 16. Can anyone tell me whether the Jorvik Centre is appropriate for this age group...there seems to be a complete mix of comments - some brilliant, some not worth the time/money....perhaps age group is different.

Thanks Molly

York
Level Contributor
585 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

Yes I think so but I am biased. it is expensive when compared to some other places, but not excessively so and it gives a flavour of a Viking village, with new additional interesting apsects after the tour including "real live" Vikings in period dress to explain things. Like many things it depends on how you approach it. If you treat it as a fairground ride it is disappointing. If you get the "wow" factor from appreciating this is the site of a real Viking settlement and some of the excavations on display (after the ride) are of buildings over 1000 years old, and you look at the way people lived then and what artefacts they had and what they ate and what they made it actually in this spot, it becomes very interesting.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

Hi

The Guardian newspaper has just done a list of the top most overrated tourist attractions. Jorvik featured! This web link gives details.

guardian.co.uk/g2/…article_continue

My opinion - I think there are far better things to do with your time in York.

The fabulous (and free!) Railway Museum for a start. Brilliant, even if you 'don;t like trains'.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

Molly: As an adult tourist I liked it a lot, but I think it's more fun for kids under 10.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

It's a theme park ride and 14 and 16 yos might find some aspects of the presentation redolent of "school trips" and rather childish. If they're interested in history, on the other hand, they might like it.

Just leave them in the Railway Museum (free) for a day and warn them not to miss the Turntable Demonstrations.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

I don't think it would appeal to 14-16 year olds. I have taken my own children (6 and 4) and school trips (8-9 year olds) and they all loved it. I think it appeals to younger children. They might like the York Dungeon though - very gruesome!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

Thank you for the info. it really helps....I think we'll do the railway museum instead...thanks again!

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

Molly

My daughters are exactly your children's age. They have just done the Jorvik Centre again with a visiting American friend and were all out of there in record time! And believe it or not, they're not complete philistines!!! I think your teens will enjoy the following more:

Railway Museum - if they like trains.

The Yorkshire Eye

The York Museum

The streets of York - just great to wander around.

Take a ghost walk

Reward them with the York Dungeon.

Rowing on the Ouse

Allie

New Jersey, USA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

I think this place is a waste of time. Instead, go to the Yorkshire Museum and spend the day - you will have a much greater apprecition of the vikings, and so will your children. Jorvik is quite trivial.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

Everbody's comments are really interesting here but why haven't people who visited put them on the "attractions" list. For example there are only 2 under the Railway Museum - both highly enthusiastic but hardly a true survey.

molly6 - try the Castle Museum as well, different but far better than the Jorvik.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jorvik Viking Centre

In an ideal world people would have time to add these places to the attractions list - unfortunately TA isn't as extensive in UK yet as it is elsewhere, but as more people become aware of its existence, more great tips are appearing.

I think that a couple of teens would get a lot out of wandering the streets, walking the walls and generally discovering a lot by themselves. The ghost walks sound a good idea and a few people in my family really raved about the railway museum.

My teen daughter wasn't impressed by Jorvik on a school trip to York, but she absolutely loved York itself.

Get answers to your questions about York