We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Ghost Walk

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chester
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which Ghost Walk

Recommendations please for the best ghost walk in York? Go there every December but it's something we have never done, thought we would give it a go this year.

Thanks for any advice.

Wakefield
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Ghost Walk

They are all pretty much the same, I've been on 3 different ones & they all go to the same areas in York to tell their ghost stories, it just depends on where they set off from. The only one that would be different is the one on the River Ouse.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Ghost Walk

Hi there,I've done the Ghost Trail of York a few yrs back with my husband and enjoyed it very much.From what I remember it starts at 7.30pm at the West Doors of the Minster most evenings (we did ours on a very cold Nov night) and it lasted just over an hour.Can't recall the price,but it was fairly cheap & good value.The tour ended in the Shambles & to finish the evening of, a little group of us from the tour went for a drink in the Golden Fleece pub which also has a number of ghost stories attached to it.

It wasn't extremely frightening,but sum interesting spooky tales were told and we found it a good way to spend an hour or so in the lovely city of York at night. I would recommend this tour,but as Frequenttraveller states above,all the tours seem to be very similar,so it's a case of picking the one that you fancy.

If you are into the paranormal & ghostly tales,& you havn't already visited the Treasurer's House,I would recommend a visit there also. Great story about whole Roman Army being seen in the cellar of the house which you can visit (with hard hats) and see the spot where they apparently materialised.Great fun & the house itself is a wonderful old place.Enjoy your trip & whatever tour you decide to pick......

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Ghost Walk

I've done the Ghost Hunt, which starts in the Shambles, and the Original Ghost Walk of York, which starts from the King's Arms pub (the one that floods) by the Ouse. The former is the one to take if you want a less "serious" ghost tour, as it consists of a lot of mucking about and innuendo (plus a bit of audience participation involving a restaurant), and the latter is the one to go if all you want is some spooky tales with no added theatrics. They both covered different areas and stories, so you could do both if you want.

The Treasurer's House tour was good also, but I'm not sure I would visit the house just to see that as the tour itself is quite short (and you have to pay extra for it) and it just involves standing around in a cellar while you are told the story. If you're interested in seeing the rest of the house as well then go for it. There is an antic tour (extra charge) available as well which is interesting.

Also, for haunted locations, be sure to check out Haunted, at 35 Stonegate. It's basically a 700-year-old "haunted" house that you get to explore room-by-room with an audio track playing telling you about the house's, and the area around's, hauntings.

http://www.ghosthunt.co.uk/

http://www.theoriginalghostwalkofyork.co.uk/

http://www.hauntedhouseyork.co.uk/

Also you might like to pick up this book - amazon.co.uk/gp/… - which features a selection of self-guided ghost tours.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 11:54
chester
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Ghost Walk

Thank you everyone.

5. Re: Which Ghost Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17