We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to York by car

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gig Harbor...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to York by car

Looking at driving to York from Heathrow by car but will have been up all night on a flight. From the maps and distance calculators online it looks like a 3 1/2 hour drive but I'm not certain of the driving speeds or the best roads to take. Looking for quickest route due to fatigue. Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Heathrow to York by car

He's not the first 'crazy' to appear in these threads. Many people seem to totally underestimate the effect of jet lag, display a woeful knowledge of UK driving conditions and roads, and overestimate their driving ability because 'back home' they can steer a tin can on wheels down a wide concrete strip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Heathrow to York by car

Don't do it! I've driven in the UK before and there's no way I'd drive right off the plane. In fact, we're returning to England this year and will also land at Heathrow (from our location it's our only viable option) and are planning on taking a train to York, stay in York for a few days and then pick-up a car at the York train station upon leaving York. Even then I won't like the driving out of York part!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 19:45
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Heathrow to York by car

I've driven the length and breadth of England/Scotland/Wales and am used to driving on the correct side of the road, plus our road rules are very similar to UK rules, so find driving there quite pleasurable (not in large cities though, but then I don't like driving in Sydney or Melbourne either). I think the OP's plan verges on madness, TBO and shows little or no consideration of the danger posed to him/herself and, more importantly, other road users.

We'll be going from London to York when we next holiday in the UK, BUT we'll be spending about 5 nights in London first and then, rather than collecting the car outside London somewhere and driving up to York (well, Ellerton), we'll be taking a leisurely train trip to York and collecting the car there (and being the one that drives, I'll be enjoying the scenery, rather than concentrating on roads and other traffic). I'm looking forward to that train trip - I love the long distance trains in the UK ... so very civilised :-)

Another bonus - buying the train tickets 12 weeks ahead means there's a huge saving - and we plan on buying first class tickets, which means we'll be extra comfy for not that much extra :-)

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Heathrow to York by car

Heidi235 - first of all as this is your first post on TA - can I apologise for the unforgivable rudeness by many on here who should know better. People may disagree with what you are proposing to do but that is no reason to be so disrespectful, condescending or judgemental.

I can understand why you may want to do this and it can be done but depending on how much sleep you got on your flight you will need to rest first or at least along the way. The best way is M25 then M1 at Jct 21 then M18, A1, A64. There are plenty of Service Stations along the M1 and I would grab an hours sleep in your car at least once along the way - maybe at the first one - Toddington.

Of course the train would be better - but you may have other reasons for using the car - and a little more kindness and consideration and POLITE advice would never go amiss on TA.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 14:34
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,876 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Heathrow to York by car

>>> a little more kindness and consideration and POLITE advice <<<

It's hard to be kind and considerate and polite when I'm angry.

People demand - and expect - safety when it comes to air and train travel, and when accidents do occur they are investigated rigorously, with any lessons learned used to improve the already impressive safety record of these modes of transport.

Yet when it comes to roads we seem to treat the daily toll of dead and injured with a casual acceptance.

By stating that he/she intends to drive on the roads of someone else's country when tired through fatigue (and tiredness can affect driving ability as much as drinking alcohol; did you know that?), I consider the OP to be neither kind or considerate.

UK
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Heathrow to York by car

QXZWS, I appreciate you are trying to help... but don't you think it's a bit irresponsible to encourage someone to do something that is clearly not safe?

ALL the odds are stacked against the OP here...:

- an long overnight flight from the West Coast of the USA

- inner clock out of sync by eight hours

- driving on the wrong side of the road

- steering wheel on the wrong side of the car

- unfamiliar roads, unfamiliar rules, everything totally different from home

I don't think an hour's nap in the car is going to help someone overcome the jetlag and fatigue that one typically experiences after a long overnight flight and eight-hour time shift, especially when it's an eastbound time shift (westbound isn't quite as bad). And there really is only one piece of advice we should be giving the OP, and that's "Don't do it". Anything else is plain irresponsible.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 15:32
York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Heathrow to York by car

"It's hard to be kind and considerate and polite when I'm angry." - if you're angry that's of your making by the nature of your reaction. Why not wait until you've calmed down and then give advice - which is far better received if it's not vituperative.

Incidentally I drive 35,000 miles a year with my job and around 15 transatlantic return flights, so am also perfectly aware of circadian rhythm.

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
826 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Heathrow to York by car

Aviatrix - it is perfectly acceptable to give someone the message you are advocating without being rude...which was my point about some other forum contributors. If you are using TA for the first time what sort of impression does this thread give you...?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Heathrow to York by car

Nobody was "rude", I thought the response was quite tame considering what the OP wants to do.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,876 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Heathrow to York by car

I make no apology for my anger, or for my response.

Until we start demanding that drivers are properly held to account for their dangerous driving practices, hundreds of thousands of lives will continue to be needlessly blighted.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 15:57