We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TDF Rental car dilemma.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
TDF Rental car dilemma.

I plan to be in Yorkshire to catch the first two days of the Tour de France and have booked accommodation in York itself.

I planned to train to Edinburgh the previous week, pick up a rental car and spend several days touring before arriving in York, watching le Tour roadside on the 5th, catching the start in York on the 6th and then catch the train to London where I have an evening rendevous with friends.

My searches reveal that the rental car places in York are closed Sunday and close early on the Saturday. Are there alternatives that would be viable? I'd rather not have to drive it all the way to London. I have been searching sites like Driveaway, Expedia and Auto-Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
Level Contributor
11,410 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

Virtually all UK car rental airports (except airports) close for the weekend at lunchtime on Saturday. The exception is Europcar, who open the whole weekend in a few larger cities. You may want to look at their location list.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
219 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

If you do find a car hire location in York bear in mind on the Sunday any road affected by the Tour route in York will be closed for 8 hours.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

If this it to drop off your car then most hire company's have a drop box for the keys, ie Avis.

york
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
748 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

york.gov.uk/info/…2.

Some useful questions and answers, and links to other stuff

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

Thanks very much for your input.

I'm reluctant at the best of times to drop off a car out of hours and in this case I fear there will be many others doing the same and therefore no parking spots, so I've decided to return the car to Leeds airport on the Saturday evening.

That way I won't have to worry about parking, returning cars or road closures on the Sunday. I'll be able to watch the race get underway and catch my train to London.

I'm under the impression I can get a bus from Leeds airport to Leeds station and there are frequent trains to York, right? It's not ideal but seems the least stressful solution if not the most logical or time efficient. And it gives me flexibility as to where I watch the first stage.

Thanks for the link, orbitalgirl. As you say some useful information and excellent links. I dare say there'll be more information as the time draws nearer. Am resisting the temptation to order Tshirts online

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

Take a train to Thirsk and book with practical.co.uk/northeast/thirsk . They will meet you at the station but do book up as soon as you can as they have a limited amount of rentals.

Mentioned in this post
Thirsk
Thirsk
North Yorkshire, UK
7. Re: TDF Rental car dilemma.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20