We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

UK
Level Contributor
335 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

We'll be in York for a weekend in March (2 adults, 2 teens).

I'm looking for a reasonably priced Italian restaurant with a decent range of veggie pasta/pizza dishes, in the city centre or near our hotel (we're staying at Premier Inn North West). Preferably not chain restaurants, but open to suggestions.

Any recommendations?

5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

My favourite is Il chibo paradiso on walmgate. (Hope that's the correct spelling)!! The food is wonderful though if possible ring them in advance to book a table.

Level Contributor
83 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

There are loads of Italians, most of the chains are here - Strada, Prezzo, Pizza Express, Bella Pasta, Ask - so you could check out the restaurant voucher offers on the Martin Lewis website.

moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant…

Outside of those, Delrios is quite nice on Blossom Street.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

I agree with the above message by bellrooster, the restaurant on Walmgate is called Il Paradiso del Cibo. Here is a link to the website, but the menu and prices are out of date:

http://ilparadisodelcibo.com/

I'd highly recommend it - the food is absolutely fantastic and the atmosphere is brilliant. I always take friends here when they come to York to visit. Prices are very reasonable too (starters £3-6ish, mains usually around £8, or up to about £15 on the specials board). You will need to book though - it can be fully booked a couple of weeks in advance some nights.

Also, it's cash only! Important to remember this as there aren't any cash machines too close by if you forget.

UK
Level Contributor
335 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

Thanks, that's great...I'll check all of those out.

Leeds England
Level Contributor
131 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

Have a look at Lucias too - we (nearly) always eat there when in York

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

Il Paradiso del Cibo is definitely recommended! Proper real Italian food, not boring chain pizzas. Lovely place.

Level Contributor
226 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

Bari in the Shambles is my favourite

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
175 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

We ate in Bari quite recently. It wasn't dirt cheap but considering it's on the shambles i would say it's very affordable. I'm veggie myself and had no trouble finding something on the menu. I just had to leave a comment because of a side dish we had there. Garlic and rosemary roast potatos. The nicest thing i've had to eat in a very long time. Mmmm makes me hungry thinking about it.

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

Hi I recommend

Lo Spuntino

64 Blossom St, York, YO24 1AP

Tel- 01904 658822

It's next to the Reel cinema. It's a small place so a must to book. You won't be disappointed. It is gorgeous :)

Edited: 23 February 2014, 22:09
UK
Level Contributor
335 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best cheap Italian restaurant in city centre?

Thanks all, I went for the most popular option and have booked for Il Paradiso del Cibo.