We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada and Greylag Geese

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockport UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Canada and Greylag Geese

I've just come back from a short break in York but have noticed that there are even more Canada and Greylag geese here this year. Whilst I am not anti geese they seem to be hoards of them down by the river and in the parks. It is difficult to walk anywhere in those areas without stepping in duck poo, or have a picnic without being mobbed by them. Do you know if the council have any plans to reduce their numbers, or are they just going to let the numbers increase year on year?They don't seem to have any natural predators to keep the numbers to a manageable amount and if people keep on feeding them, their numbers will carry on increasing.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

This is a problem in a lot of parks and riverside areas in the UK.

They are actually on a list of 100 invasive species posing a serious threat to biodiversity in Europe as a whole. I believe a swimming pool just outside Paris had to be closed down to the risk of disease from their poo.

Apart from their poo, they are aggressive which sometimes frightens me, let alone young children.

They have a strong sense of territory and will prevent other waterfowl from moving into quite a large area round their nest. In this way, they limit the reproduction of ducks and coots.

A couple of years ago in the Lake District area of Windermere, an attempt was made to fence the geese in and also to oil the eggs to prevent them from hatching. Despite all of this there are still large numbers of Canada geese causing problems.

I believe that culling was discussed but then rejected.

I suppose the first course of action would be to write to the local council(s) to complain.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
269 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

I recently found the geese blocking a riverside cycle path and pedalled through their midst with some trepidation.

Sensible to reiterate to visitors to keep off grassed areas where the geese have been pooing,

Essex
Level Contributor
26,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

There is a year-round shooting season on Canada Geese in England and Wales, as they are officially a "Pest Species"

However, it is not as simple as that, there are still laws restricting who, how, when and where this can be done...

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

The UK canada goose population is apparently about 100,000 or so, so for each one of these annoying pests, there are about 600 people. I'm not denying they can be a pest, but while we wonder how to keep our parks cleaner, it's worth keeping some perspective on which species is really the one that's out of control.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 10:21
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

Try living with them when they sleep on the other side of the canal to you.

There was an exit point from the canal and the Canada geese would sleep to the left of this, whilst the Greylag would sleep to the right of it. In between all of this there was a couple of Mallards with their brood. The Canada geese would make a noise for half the night though generally they weren't too territorial when people walked or rode past them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

"Try living with them when they sleep on the other side of the canal to you." It may be wise not to elaborate upon my experiences of the greylag goose and mallard duck breeding seasons whilst a student at York in the late '70s. In those days, the waterfowl seemed to be restricted to the lake that is a central part of what is now the university's western campus and I don't ever recall seeing geese or ducks of any kind in the city centre. As it is, we have recently returned from a weekend in York. Eating in a restaurant in Tower Street, we were bemused to watch three sets of greylags waddle down from the general direction of Cliffords Tower and cross the road about a yard or so away from a pelican crossing before continuing towards the river. This forced traffic to a halt although traffic signals were green: could be interesting if some geese have similar thoughts this coming Sunday!

Essex
Level Contributor
26,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

Greylags were so rare when I was a kid, a protected species with chance of going extinct in the UK. So I am happy to see them, and have seen a nice sized gaggle of them on the Thames today near Henley.

Canada Geese are inteuders though, and taking over habitat for native species, however, they are rather groovy looking!

8. Re: Canada and Greylag Geese

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about York