We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Carlisle to York

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Carlisle to York

Hello,

In September I am going to be traveling from Keswick to York. It was recommended to me to take a train to Carlisle and then go to York from there. Two questions- firstly, is the route more scenic going from Carlisle>Newcastle>York or from Carlisle>Leeds>York? Secondly, how much time should I allot to switch trains? Would between 5-10 minutes be sufficient?

Thank you!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Carlisle to York

The Settle line (Carlisle to Leeds) is more scenic. 5 to 10 minutes should be sufficient, if you are physically capable to move smartly with your luggage. It may depend on the station where you are changing. I would also want to know when the next train is departing if I were to miss the connection. For example, I wouldn`t attempt such a short connection time if I was connecting to the last train of the day.

Often now the schedules produced on the National Rail site indicate the platforms involved in the connection. The station maps on the site will help you decide how much connection time you need.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Carlisle to York

Both routes are scenic. The Carlisle to Leeds route probably has the edge and is particularly noted for its scenery. It's also a longer distance, takes a longer time and there are fewer trains on that route (one about every 3 hours I think) than on the Carlisle to Newcastle route. It's also possible to travel from Carlisle to Leeds in a similar time by changing trains at Manchester, but that bypasses the scenic Carlisle to Settle section (from Manchester you can get a train direct to York).

There are several examples of spectacular Victorian railway viaducts between Carlisle and Settle. These are best appreciated from a distance so you won't actually see much of them as you will be passing over them in a train.

The trains on both the Carlisle-Settle-Leeds and Carlisle-Newcastle routes are small rural affairs that stop at numerous small towns and villages along the way, but if time isn't an issue either way is very pleasant.

Going to York via Leeds involves changing trains at Leeds, which is quite a large station so finding your platform will take time - numerous stairs/escalators to negotiate and long platforms often sub-divided into A,B,C sections which can be confusing. Newcastle is easier to negotiate but it would be advisable to allow 10 minutes if you're not familiar with it. Trains between Newcastle and York are frequent and fast - East Coast or Crosscountry are best. You also pass through Durham by going that way and get a superb view of the Cathedral.

Have you considered how to get from Keswick to Carlisle? There are 3 or 4 direct buses per day. The alternative is bus from Keswick to Penrith rail station (the bus stops outside the station entrance) then train to Carlisle. You have to get across the track at Penrith if travelling north. If you are arriving in Carlisle by bus there is a 10-15 minute walk from the bus station to the railway station. Carlisle station is relatively small so it should only take 5 minutes to change trains.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Carlisle to York

If you book it as a straight through journey on one ticket from Carlisle to York it won't let you book anything which the rail company don't consider to be an achievable transfer time. If your incoming train is late for any reason you ticket would then be valid on the next train.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
294 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Carlisle to York

Leeds station had a massive interchange footbridge towards its southern end, with lifts and up direction escalators.

Frequent trains between Leeds & York -a mix of Cross Country, Transpennine and slower Northern Rail services.

5. Re: Train from Carlisle to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about York