We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knaresborough day trip

ayrshire scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Knaresborough day trip

Hi,my wife and i are visiting your lovely city for the fourth time in a row next mon-fri,and a friend of hers suggested knaresborough as a good olde worldy day out sort of thing.Is it do-able and worth the effort?thanks.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knaresborough day trip

Knaresborough is a really pleasant place, and is easy to do from York by train. Recommended.

ayrshire scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knaresborough day trip

ok,thanks.We'll give it a go.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 18:37
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knaresborough day trip

I have to say I disagree - the charms of Knaresborough (I lived nearby for 20 years) have always passed me by and I am happy to avoid the place. But, depends what you are after of course.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
301 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knaresborough day trip

If you travel by train (recommended) then on arrival cross under the rail tracks via a pedestrian walkway and ahead is a steeply descending pathway to the side of the River Nidd. Lots of cafes along there and Mother Shipton's cave along the opposite riverbank.

Up in the town are the castle remains which overlook the river gorge,

York, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knaresborough day trip

Knaresborough is not a bad idea for a day trip - occasionally do this on a Sunday. Train is probably a good idea from York as well. Wandering around the castle & grounds, shops and down by the river is a pleasant way to spend a few hours, but you really need dry weather. NB Wednesday is market day in Knaresborough so the town is a lot busier.

ayrshire scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knaresborough day trip

Thanks for the info.

7. Re: Knaresborough day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about York