We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Local expert

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Local expert

*waves*

Hello Ange...

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Local expert

Hello pardner!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Local expert

Well, congratulations, ange. I think you'll be kept busy as York seems to be the new London on here, these days! :-)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Local expert

Thank you!

And here was me thinking it was a bit quiet at the moment.....

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Local expert

Well, OK. It's more like, "We'd like to do a day trip from London; where shall we go?" and it just seems that more people are recommending York than ever before. And I can understand that, of course ☺

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Local expert

Of course! I frequently think that myself....

'Hmmmm.... I fancy a day/weekend/night away... where will I go... oh yeah - York of course!'

Seriously, several times a month I get a phone call on my mobile - whoever is ringing me knows exactly where I am - York! I seriously think I'm addicted.... anyone know of a support group????

Oh forget it, I don't want to be weaned off my addiction!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Local expert

Congrats Ange! I love York.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Local expert

Thought I'd say hi as well!

I usually leave the detailed questions about York to Brickie as I bow to his far superior knowledge ( I prefer answering the Dales/Moors stuff), so great to have you on board as well.

So many people, especially those travelling from overseas, don't realise how easy it is to get from London to York. In fact my husband commutes to central London from York once a week for work, with no problems. And it's sooooooooo different from London - and I don't mean the sights themselves but the little things like the friendliness of the Yorkshire people, the consideration on the roads when driving etc. And how everyone says thank you to the driver when they get off the bus, even the youngsters- I love that!

So if we can get more people to come and see this beautiful part of the country - all the better.

M

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Local expert

Hey LeeB! Here's me feeling sorry for myself that I live so far away from York (an hour incase you were wondering!) and here's poor old you living thousands of miles away! God bless you, a lot of people 'don't get it' but when I see the Minster from the train window I know I'm 'home'. (and thats less than an hour since I left home! Ok, I'll stop gloating now...)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Local expert

Hey morgana! What a lovely welcome from everyone!

I'm completely with you that overseas travellers and even folk from the UK bypass York. I've even seen replies to posts agreeing that 'York can be done in a day'!!! I've always gone 5+ times a year for holidays but now that I've realised how easy it is for me to get to I've been 6 times in the last month. I just can't get enough! And there are still things I haven't done!

I'm with you for promoting York but I have to say, I was there on Saturday and it was awful - it was absolutely jam-packed! I found myself swept down Stonegate by the throng of shoppers and had to escape from the crowd to retrace my steps if I wanted to go in a shop! Terrible! I remember thinking to myself that we should keep York a secret...... hehe!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Local expert

Ah, but surely what is great about a city like York is that however busy it is, you can find a corner of peace and solitude somewhere if you need it!

Get answers to your questions about York