We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Wharfedale - Beckermonds

Romford, Essex
13 posts
Save Topic
Upper Wharfedale - Beckermonds

Hi,

I am staying in Beckermonds in June and wondered if anyone can help with some area info.

Done some internet searches and nothing really comes up, we know its a quiet place which is why we decided on the area but would be good to get an idea of distances to local towns, pubs, shops nearby etc?

Also whether it is a nice area to walk, cycle for us and the kids.

Any info much appreciated!

York
Level Contributor
584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Wharfedale - Beckermonds

Beckermonds is very remote and is only a farm or two at the head of Wharfedale, known in that area as Langstrothdale. Nearest town in Wharfedale is Grassington, but that is about 15/20 miles away. Hawes in Wensleydale is nearer but the narrow road goes over a pass at 560m or so.

Nearest pub will be the George at Hubberholme about 4 miles away down the valley, and not much further to the White Lion at Cray or pub in Buckden. Buckden is the nearest "proper" village so try a search on there, also Kettlewell further down the valley.

Yes a nice area to walk (on the DalesWay), cycle (although roads are limited, narrow and hilly but quiet outside a sunny weekend) but not much for children, unless into nature. I would think further down the valley (Kettlewell/Grassington areas) may have more amenities for families, and easier access to civilisation being less remote, especially if the weather closes in.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Wharfedale - Beckermonds

As already said, Beckermonds is very remote, but I'm sure the fact that you have booked there means you are very much into the outdoors and walking. Hawes is not far away up and over the end of the dale. A lovely Dales town with lots of interesting museums and the old railway. I adore Kettlewell and Grassington is also within easy reach by car. There are a couple of lovely walks I would recommend. Along the river and Dales Way to Buckden then up to Cray and back along the edge of the Dale. For a heftier hike you can head up and over the hills into the next valley and back. I spent a couple of childhood holidays in nearby Deepdale and we never ran out of wonderful walks. This is my absolute favourite spot in the Dales (so much so I have a picture of it on my lounge wall). You will love it!

3. Re: Upper Wharfedale - Beckermonds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 05:00
Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire Dales...