We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muker Place to Stay

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Muker Place to Stay

Hi all,

My wife and I are heading to Yorkshire in May (May 13-22 to be exact) and are trying to decide on a place to stay. We think we've settled on Muker so when I say "place to stay" I am referring to a farm, B&B, etc.

What I've found is that there are three B&Bs in Muker but only one of them (Chapel House) has a review here on TA. We would be very grateful if anyone who has stayed at either Swale Farm B&B or Muker Village Store's B&B could give us their opinion of these places.

Also, if it's not too much to ask, does anyone have a favorite farm B&B immediately in or around Muker?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Cheers,

John

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Just up the road from Muker is Gunnerside and Annie Porter runs a bed and breakfast from their farm at Oxnop Hall that you may like to take a look at their website They are proper dales farmers and have a wealth of local knowledge too.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Hi Toofpik.

I have walked though Muker a few times but never stopped, so I cannot help you. But I'm out on friday at the beer festival in Saltaire with some walking friends. Maybe one of them as stayed there and will be able to help you.

ian480.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Cheers, 6p and Ian. We ended up reserving our stay at the Brow Hill Farm in Gunnerside. There are no reviews of it anywhere but the owner seemed very nice so I went with my gut instinct on this one. I'll post reviews at end of May when we return from our trip.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Thanks for getting back Toofpik.

I asked around a bit last night, Got to know about the pub and the camp site up the road but no infor about B&Bs.

Please do write a review.

ian480.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muker Place to Stay

\it is one which has evaded me, so will be glad to hear how you got on.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Muker Place to Stay

I hate to hijack my own thread but...I saw an old post that says an episode of the "Inspector Lynley Mysteries" was filmed in Gunnerside. I've seen most episodes so am wondering which it was. My mind tells me it was the first one, "A Great Delieverance," but I can't find anything to corroborate this. Does anyone know for sure?

Cheers,

John

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Hi Toofpik.

Have you been on the fansite forum yet?

http://www.theinspectorlynleymysteries.net/

ian480.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Cheers, Ian, that did the trick. I did not know about the fansite. A post there says that "the guest house really is the guest house" but doesn't say which "guest house" :) Looks like I have to watch the episode a few more times between now and May to familiarize myself with the places I will see.

Regards,

John

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Walked the C2C last September and although thought Muker was quite good I really liked Gunnerside. Would have gladly stayed in the village. Nice pub, beautiful surroundings and very pretty (is there a better word???) village. You'll love the place.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
440 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Muker Place to Stay

Thank you, Dave. The more I learn about Gunnerside, the more I like it already. This is a village that stepped up big when it looked as though they were going to lose their local pub and that says a lot. It is good to hear that you prefer it over Muker (my wife was pretty stuck on Muker until I convinced her otherwise :) ).

My B&B host has also been communicating back and forth with me about things other than the B&B. She seems a wonderful lady so I think that despite not having any reviews on which to base our decision, the decision to stay at Brow Hill Farm is a good one. If so, I am going to be proud to be the first to post a review of her establishment here on TA.

Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire Dales...