We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkshire Dales scenic drive

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Yorkshire Dales scenic drive

We are travelling from York to the Lake District and would like to drive through the Yorkshire Dales rather than sticking to main roads. What about the road from Leyburn to Sedbergh, via Hawes? Are there any must-see villages or sights in the Dales?

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkshire Dales scenic drive

The road between Leyburn and Sedbergh is fairly good as long as you're not in too moch of a hurry, but who'd want to rush through this scenery!

Along your route you pass Aysgarth, the falls are well worth a look at. Between Aysgarth and Hawes you may consider a deviation through Askrigg which was the base for the filming of the TV series All Creatures Great and Small.

Hawes is a delightful little town, one of my favourite places in fact, well worth stopping for an hour or so to check out the shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants plus Hardraw Force about half a mile away, a waterfall you can walk behind and of course the Wensleydale Creamery, the home of proper Wensleydale cheese, lots of interesting flavours here.

After leaving Hawes I would strongly recommend visiting Dent either by driving towards Ribblehead for about 6 miles then turning right or following the main road towards Sedbergh as far as Garsdale Head then turning left. To be honest there's not much there, two pubs,a church, a small museum and a shop, but once you're there just turn off the car, the stereo, the spouse and kids and just look and listen, it is an amazing atmosphere, well I think it is anyway and I keep going back.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkshire Dales scenic drive

and stop for lunch at the Wensleydale heifer in West Witton. Also it is nice to call in at the Ropemakers in Hawes too and if time permits you could go to the Forbidden Corner -you need to book your time with them before you go.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkshire Dales scenic drive

And you should take a drive through Masham too - great little yorkshire dales town with 2 great breweries - Black Sheep & Theakstons, and also a wonderful traditional sweet shop - www.bahhumbugs.com

4. Re: Yorkshire Dales scenic drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 06:37
Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire Dales...
More Yorkshire Dales National Park Topics