We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Knaresborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Hi Guys,

Im Looking and getting married August next year and come up with the fab idea of hiring a Marquee for our wedding recepetion? Could anybody kindly recommend a venue or a plot of land that this could take place on in north yorkshire?? I fully understand that Venues usually do it as a package but any ideas' or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. Ideally i would like the land/venue next to a hotel or close enough for my guests to be able to stay the night,

Thanks in advance.

Amy

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

depending on how much you wish to pay . There will always be a farmer who has land .Any idea of location. Any idea how big the hotel

Knaresborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Thanks, easier said then done :)

Were looking in north yorkshire (paradise for land!!) harrogate, york, knaresborough, surrounding villages.

We are looking to provide our own caterers, drinks, hog roast but venues obviously want the money and provide these for you at a very pricey rate!

leeds
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Hi, I am looking for something very similar to you in roughly the same area. I had come up with the idea of hiring a self catering cottage or cottages on the same site with grounds big enough to erect a marquee in, as I don't want to pay the pricy drinks/food/anything else they can bill you with charges!! I think that hiring them for the weekend plus all other costs will still work out cheaper than getting somewhere formal. I've found Newton Grange in Skipton, Woodlands near Settle, Bricknell Cottages in York, Baxby Manor near Thirsk and Morton House in Masham so far. Some of these may be a little out of the area you're looking at, but may be worth looking into? If you find anything else or any info from these (as I haven't had chance to look at them properly yet) would you also be able to let me know? I also just had a thought that my friend had a marquee erected on the bowling green in escrick with the social club bar for proper drinks, but they were allowed to take their own wine and champagne for the meal/toasts, and they got local butcher to do a bbq at £12 a head with steak, chicken, king prawn, salads, jackets and desserts if thats of any interest? Hope this helps, please keep me updated if you can help me out too!! Thanks, Ali

Knaresborough...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Hi thanks soooo much for all that info! Im the same, all these venues are a total rip off and at least with a marquee you get to choose your wedding day and how its run, and know exactly how much everyone charges. ive got a few quotes from marquess which we are very happy with its just finding somewhere to erect it! Good luck and ill keep you updated if i find anything else! Take care , amy x x

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

How many guests are you thinking of asking to get a guide to how big a place you need

leeds
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Hi, have you had any luck yet? I'm on the computer every spare minute I get - although thats not many with 2 toddlers!! I was wondering if you could give me some contacts for the marquee quotes you've had? I started looking tonight, but they seem a bit pricy? Are you getting your chairs/tables/dancefloor/toilets etc. from the same company? I've opened a minefield and I have no idea where to start!! Also, I have the food sorted but I'm a bit stumped on the alcohol, and also whether we'd need a licence or an entertainments licence or something similar? Sorry for the 20 questions, I've just realised how much I still have left to sort out!! Thanks in advance, Ali xxx

Reeth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Hi Ali, I just saw your post - one thing I can help you on is that with the alcohol if you get someone with an outside bar - (ask pubs local to the venue and often they have the outdoor facilities or can get it) the person running the bar should have a personal licence which will cover them for outdoor events! I only know this as I worked at a pub that did a couple of outdoor events. Hope this helps, Rach

leeds
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Thanks rach, I'll definitely bare that in mind. I was hoping to get my own alcohol to avoid costly bar prices but if that fails I'll ask around locally. Cheers :) Ali x

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

What about Crayke village hall as it has lovely lawns in front and plenty of parking and they would do a bar and they also do a hog roast

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
594 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marquee wedding reception, and land or venue suggestions??

Have you looked at Tan Hill? tanhillinn.com/weddings-north-yorkshire/…

Maybe worth a look, they do accomodation aswell, and also they will allow camping (not so ideal considering the situation being a wedding, but worth looking at!)