We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

Shanghai, China
2 posts
Save Topic
Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

My family and me ( 2 adults plus one 11 years old boy ) plan to stay in UK for around 15 days and will visit CotsWolds / London and Edinburgth. What I am not sure is to have a couple days either in Yorkshire Dales or Lake District. I won't have the time to go both and probably do not want to. Who can telle me which one is better ? Thanks. Baoping

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

Much as I love the Dales I would recommend Lakes as the landscape is more striking - however Lakes will be very busy

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

You are comparing chalk and cheese as they both are beautiful in different ways, but if you are already visiting the Cotswolds then IMO the Lake District would give more of a variation to where you have already been.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

Could have more rain in the Lakes

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

Either the Lakes or Yorkshire Dales would give a totally different feel to the Cotswolds.

If you are driving then you can see both as it's possible to route through the Dales. If you aren't driving then the Lakes are easier to get around by public transport.

Shanghai, China
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the advise from all of you. Yes, I will drive and in total I plan 3 to 4 days there. What are the high lights for those two areas that I shall look ?

I will probably stay in Dales since I am afraid of too much rains in Lake district. And I plan 1 or days for walking and cycling. I assume Dales is better for walking and cycling than Lake area.

Thanks again

Baoping

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

I would say the biggest difference is that the scenery in the Dales is going to be a lot more open (hence the name) compared to the Lake District. The Lake District is really more about walking up fells/mountain/valley views and around lakes than seeing large expanses of open countryside.

Both have their own attributes but a great way of seeing the Dales is actually by car because it will give you the freedom to cover their huge area. For example the road from Simonstone via the Buttertubs Pass up to the Tan Hill Inn and then out towards Kirkby Stephen is a brilliant section of driving road with some really stunning scenery.

7. Re: Yorkshire Dales Versus Lake District National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire Dales...