We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
350 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

I've just started my research for accommodation in the Dales and I've read through raincoat10's post which has provided some very valuable information on where to stay. This will also help me with my planning. We like staying in B&B accommodation preferably located somewhere with a choice of pubs for evening meals.

My main problem is I've been diagnosed with a torn hip ligament. Don't know yet how bad it will be. However, I'm hoping with therapy it won't stop me taking easy country walks. Be that as it may I would like some suggestions on easy walks. We've just returned from Canada where I think I overdid the mountains!!

We are planning a day across in York and one to Castle Howard, so the suggestions provided to stay to the east of the Dales would still make for easy access to both of those.

We will be coming across from the Lake Dist (where I think I may even shorten our stay and add one to the Dales because I'm unlikely to be able to manage too many walks there!!) So some shortish easy grade walks in the Dales would be great. We like waterfalls, rivers, views - the abbey sounds great as does the railway viaduct (name escapes me at present). Love taking pics of expansive views.

Suggestions from locals would be much appreciated.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Hi I'll try and help with your research. I would have thought lower Wensleydale would. be ideal for you. This isn't 'east of the Dales' but it's the eastern part of the Dales national park itself Masham has several B&B options and some good places to eat in the evening. It's a large village famous for the locally brewed beer . You can do a brewery tour if that appeals. Masham is an attractive place with a huge market square and a market is still held twice a week.

There are lovely walks all around the area including some easier ones along the river or some more strenuous ones up on the fells. I live just outside Masham so can't give you specific B&B recommendations.

Within easy reach you have jervaulx abbey which is a beautiful place to visit. There's also waterfalls at aysgarth and a lovely castle at castle Bolton

Another village to look at ( also in Wensleydale ) is middleham famous for its ruined castle and for its race horses.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
350 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Thanks morgana. On looking deeper into the area, I've actually found some places in Swaledale which may suit. The village of Muker. I like small villages. However, I'm also interested in the markets in Masham. Which days are they held? Thanks for the recommendations for places to visit too

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Swaledale would be great too - different from Wensleydale, but there again all the Dales are different in their own ways.

Muker is lovely, plus there are other small villages up there (Reeth, Thwaite, Keld etc) which are also nice. Don't expect the bright lights up there though! Swaledale can be pretty wild although mid May is a beautiful time of year to visit.

Masham market (Wed and Sat) is only small although it does have a terrific cheese stall on it. You'll find other markets up in Swaledale - I think Reeth has a Friday market for instance.

The Yorkshire food is excellent (Wensleydale cheese, Yorkshire puddings, Nidderdale lamb etc) and you'll find lots of pubs that do a very good lunch and/or dinner. You can go to the Creamery at Hawes to see the cheese being made if that appeals to you.

http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/

Don't miss driving up the Buttertubs Pass on a clear day!

www.flickr.com/photos/tall-guy/4843416872/

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
350 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

No bright lights sounds good to me. After a day out and about, we are not looking to paint the town red. A quiet meal in a pub is about our limit. Cheese is one of my failings I'm afraid, so Masham market may be a possibility as we will be in the area on a Wednesday. Wensleydale wasa fav of mine many years ago, but it's not one seen very often downunder. I feel a Ploughman's coming on!!!! I most certainly won't miss driving up and over the Buttertubs. One of our pleasures driving in England, the roads less travelled. Fingers crossed for clear days. Thanks again morgana

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

How about Annie Porters at Oxnop Hall Farm .

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
350 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Looks promising - thanks Englandsixpence. May I ask what Annie Porters refers to?

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
350 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Ah - now I have been to the contact page I understand.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Vaycee, you might also look at Brow Hill Farm in Gunnerside (a pleasant short ride from Muker). We stayed there all 9 days we were in Yorkshire and absolutely loved it. Jo is a wonderful hostess, and a lovely human being in general. Of all the things we fell in love with in Yorkshire, she's the one we hold closest to our hearts. The bonus is that if you rent a room from her, you will be the only guests so you get her undivided attention. She has just two rooms but with one bathroom (en suite to the double room). She therefore only rents both rooms if a family is staying and requires them both.

Gunnerside is less "developed" than Muker and is about as quiet as you're going to get. We ate at the King's Head pub in Gunnerside a couple of times but honestly preferred The Farmer's Arms in Muker for a good meal.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

I'm really glad Toofpik replied because I was trying to recall who it was that stayed at Gunnerside and spoke highly of their landlady.

I seem to recall that one night after a long day out you queued up at a fish and chip van that visited the village one night a week - I so enjoyed that image of you doing that!

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yorkshire Dales 4 nights mid-May

Yes, morgana, that was me. When planning my trip I came to TA and started contacting the B&Bs that were recommended and had good reviews. Fortunately, none of them had availability for the dates of our stay so I had to go to Google to look for other places nearby. I went with Brow Hill Farm based solely on the tone and content of Jo's reply to my enquiry. Sadly, I am still the only TA member who has reviewed her place. But that's ok, it makes Brow Hill Farm a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned (even though there's now a marker for it on Google Earth).

Good memory on the fish and chip van! That was Thursday, our second night there. The whole village turned out that evening. I can still feel the fish in my hands as I had to eat it without utensils (in hindsight I know I could have asked Jo to borrow some). It was honestly the tastiest fish and chips I've had in my travels to the UK.

One of the things that stands out in our minds about Swaledale was the different ways locals had of saying hello without speaking (various hand or head gestures). One gentlemen quickly twitches his head to the side. In the US it's the sort of gesture that says, "Go away, kid, you're bothering me." But for him it was his way of acknowledging you. Our hostess' partner was actually able to identify people we met simply by us describing these gestures to him.

I knew I should have avoided this forum. Now I'm getting antsy for visiting the Dales again :-)