We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
317 reviews
Save Topic
Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

My husband and I will be staying in Crayke at the Durham Ox for three nights in September. We will be visiting Thirsk, as my husband is very interested in the Herriott Museum. We would like to spend one full day driving through the Dales, though we realize with 1.5 hours just to get to the edge of the Dales, we will only be able to see a small area. Would appreciate feedback on our driving route, particularly if there is a more interesting route back to Crayke. We will probably want to take the A1 (M) toward Grinton / Reeth just to have the quickest route to get there, and depending on how the day goes, we might have time at the end to take a more interesting route back.

Crayke to Grinton via A1 (M). Take Swale Hall Lane route toward Askrigg. Carry on to Hawes via Longshaw, perhaps lunch at the Heifer or the Creamery. Take Baggamans Road south out of Hawes and loop around back up to Aysgarth via B6160/Eshington Lane. Then head back to Crayke.

We are planning to stop here and there as the mood strikes us, but are mostly looking for a nice scenic drive (I know, I know, the entirety of the Dales is scenic) off the main roads. Would love to go through Harrogate or Ripon, but are sensitive to the fact that the itinerary above will take four hours AT LEAST, just driving. Thanks in advance for the input.

Mentioned in this post
Thirsk
Thirsk
North Yorkshire, UK
Grinton
Grinton
Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK
Reeth
Reeth
Askrigg
Askrigg
Hawes
Hawes
Aysgarth
Aysgarth
Harrogate
Harrogate
North Yorkshire, UK
Ripon
Ripon
North Yorkshire, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

It won't take 1.5 hours to get to the edge of the Dales! Nothing remotely like that.

From Thirsk you'll be in Lower Wensleydale within 10 mins max. Head along the road 'up Dale' stopping off at Masham, Jervaulx abbey (don't miss) and Middleham (cadtle) heading to Aysgarth. Don't miss the road up to buttertubs.

Forget driving through Ripon or Harrogate. Neither are in the Dales and I can't see what would be gained by driving through. Apart from getting stuck in Harrogate traffic. I lived there 20 years and don't miss that aspect of the town!

Mentioned in this post
Masham
Masham
North Yorkshire, UK
Jervaulx
Jervaulx
North Yorkshire, UK
Middleham
Middleham
North Yorkshire, UK
Aysgarth
Aysgarth
Ripon
Ripon
North Yorkshire, UK
Harrogate
Harrogate
North Yorkshire, UK
Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

Thank you Morgana. To clarify, the 1.5 hours calculation was based on viamichelin and google estimates from Crayke to Grinton. Sorry I was misleading, just thought Thirsk was more familiar to most.

And we wouldn't merely be driving through Ripon or Harrogate, we'd be stopping to see the Ripon Abbey or going for a bit at Betty's. however, I don't believe either is doable.

I will take a look at your suggestions. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Grinton
Grinton
Thirsk
Thirsk
North Yorkshire, UK
Ripon
Ripon
North Yorkshire, UK
Harrogate
Harrogate
North Yorkshire, UK
Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

A little more research leads me to believe that when people reference Ripon Abbey, they actually mean Fountains. But Jervaulx looks lovely, and will make a nice early evening stop, as it's open dawn to dusk.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

I don't know of any confusion between Ripon and Fountains. Ripon has a wonderful cathedral. There are lots of abbeys up here. Jervaulx is a short drive from my house and we visit all year round. It looks amazing in snow! It's a quiet, peaceful and slowly crumbling place and I always notice the bird song. You'll probably have it pretty much to yourself. It has lots of wooden seats in the ruins so you could take a picnic.

Mentioned in this post
Ripon
Ripon
North Yorkshire, UK
Jervaulx
Jervaulx
North Yorkshire, UK
Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

I think your planning has been excellant

Since I live in the North east of England I have often used this area and the route you have chosen from Hawes back to Crayke at least as far as the A1(m) and found it very scenic, you will enjoy it, the views over the moors are excellant. As to additional places to stop, there are many and as you say it is purely a matter of the time you wish to spend driving or looking. I would suggest a 2.4 mile to inch map rather than sat nav as planning and changing route if you wish to spend longer any where may well prove useful. enjoy your trip

Ray currie

Mentioned in this post
Hawes
Hawes
6. Re: Dales Driving Route from Thirsk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire Dales...