We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Hi all,

We are planning a one week visit to the Lake District. We are travelling over from Northern Ireland and could use the traditional Stena Line route - however we absolutely love Yorkshire (Scarborough, Whitby, Pickering etc) and would love to see some of the Yorkshire Dales. So... we are considering flying into Leeds Bradford to allow us the chance to get a flavour of the dales. We will be arriving early and returning home late so could spend two days in the area.

Have had a look at the map and from The RAC's suggested route Skipton seems to be an obvious choice. Grassington doesn't look too far from the route either. We love history, culture, tea shops etc.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Pickering
Pickering
North Yorkshire, UK
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Grassington
Grassington
Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Skipton would be a good base. On your way to Skipton you will go through Otley (nice market town with some good independent shops) and Ilkley (former spa town below the famous Ilkley Moor). You could also have a look at Bolton Priory (otherwise Bolton Abbey) and walk along the riverside to the Strid. Do not be tempted to try and jump the Strid. It looks easy but many have drowned. If you fall in there is no way out. If you keep out of the water however, the scenery is really beautiful.

Skipton has its ancient church and castle and award winning high street with lots of independent shops and street market. If you like ancient churches you could also have a look at Kildwick which is about 4 miles outside Skipton as you drive in.

Plenty of places to stay in Skipton or if you prefer to be out of town try the Tempest Arms at Elslack.

Lovely drive from Skipton up to the Lakes with stop offs in Settle and perhaps a side trip to Grassington and Kettlewell.

Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Bolton Abbey
Bolton Abbey
Kildwick
Kildwick
North Yorkshire, UK
Grassington
Grassington
Kettlewell
Kettlewell
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Skipton isn't in the Dales - so if you are looking to stay in the Dales themselves it isn't the place for you. To be honest its charms have always pretty much passed me by and I wouldn't want to stay there myself, but I suppose it depends what you are looking for.

It calls itself The Gateway to the Dales so you'll be close.

Grassington is very different from Skipton. It IS in the Dales (Wharfedale) and can be busy with tourists on a summer weekend if the sun is shining! Not sure when you are travelling. Grassington has good selection of shops, cafes, restaurants etc. Plus a few minutes walk in any direction and you have the most magnificent network of footpaths to explore.

Maybe have a look at Pateley Bridge too (Nidderdale). Lovely little place and again walks in all directions.

Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Grassington
Grassington
Pateley Bridge
Pateley Bridge
North Yorkshire, UK
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

En route you could call in at Malham Cove and Dent (a beautiful village with cobbled streets)

Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Oh thank you all for your lovely suggestions.

Unfortunately we won't be able to stay in the Dales as we have a week's self-catering booked in Bowness. However we get into Leeds at 8:30 AM and don't fly home until 8:30 PM ( a week later).

We have visited Knaresborough and loved it, so I think we would enjoy Skipton. Ideally we don't want to go too far from the recommended route.

Pateley Bridge is too far from the route - however it is the sort of place we would love and we may come back next year and spend a week.

We aren't travelling until the end of June - N.I. school children get off school then for 9 weeks. However I would need to get it booked, in order to get the cheapest airfares.

Dent looks absolutely gorgeous - according to the RAC it is within an hour's drive from Bowness, so we could spend another day touring that area.

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Knaresborough
Knaresborough
North Yorkshire, UK
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Pateley Bridge
Pateley Bridge
North Yorkshire, UK
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Kirkby Lonsdale is also a nice little town which you could either visit en route or from Bowness. If you want some nice beer to drink in your self catering when you get back on an evening Booth's supermarket there (also at Kendal I think) do a fantastic range of local and not so local bottled beers :-)

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Ah, I read your post too quickly and thought you were looking for somewhere to stay for two days - and I was trying to suggest politely that you didn't choose Skipton!

Agree with Joe, Booths are great (we have several branches up here). The bread and deli sections are excellent, and they always have a few of their bottled beers on offer.

Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Thanks all - Kirkby Londsdale is quite close to Bowness so will put it on the list.

Am going to go ahead and book flights as am now happy there are lots of lovely places to visit in close proximity to the route.

I had heard of Booths and it is good to know that it does good bread and a nice deli. Will pass on the beer - tee total. But thanks anyway.

Oh to be in England!

Thanks again Megan

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
219 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Please remember the Tour de France is in Yorkshire the weekend of 5 & 6 July if you are travelling around that time there will be some significant road closures that will affect travel.

The dales are a spectacular area and so different from the Lakes, enjoy the contrast.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Thanks for the advice - the Tour de France website states that on Saturday 5 th it goes from Leeds to Harrogate. So hopefully none of the roads on our route will be shut - however there may well be an influx of people in the general area.

Thanks Again

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Harrogate
Harrogate
North Yorkshire, UK
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested stops from Leeds Airport to the Lake District

Leeds to Harrogate via the southern Dales!

Ydnpa makes an excellent point - I'd check the tour route very carefully. Roads will be closed for hours before the tour goes past, and it will be bedlam afterwards.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-1

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Harrogate
Harrogate
North Yorkshire, UK
Get answers to your questions about Yorkshire Dales...